Clonazepam for Sleep

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Re: Clonazepam for Sleep

Post by Polar Bear »

I've never taken gabapentin for anything. Think it was mentioned to Gp but kind of got lost in the conversation.

At the moment my Dr has no appointments until 30 May. I can go to the walk in clinic but really want an appt to be sure of getting my own Dr who knows me and my history.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

QyX

Post by QyX »

ViewsAskew wrote:I see her point of view...but often we do need to switch or stop for other reasons - they stop working or we need to take something else that conflicts. I just don't want to be in the boat if I can help it. It took me over six months to stop that drug - and it was like the movies of people in heroin withdrawal (not pretty at all). I was SO sick.

Yes, I went through the same and also used Ashton Manual. Taking Benzos long term is simply very problematic. I know lots of stories were people had tremendous problems stopping Benzodiazepines.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Qyx- thank you.
I had a 4 day gap, then one night clonazepam which didn't work followed by last night clonazepam where I got 7 hours in 2 shifts.
I've taken it again tonight which will be followed by a gap of several nights.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm assuming you're not having symptoms (urge to move and sensory symptoms, that is) when you can't sleep. Is that true?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

That's correct badnights. Symptoms are under control, no urge to move, I am simply awake and reading in bed or up and about.
Lying in bed awake my joints eventually get uncomfortable which would prompt be to get mobile for a while, not not RLS/symptoms.
Betty

Kupkee

Post by Kupkee »

I have used clonazepam. From the first day. 5 did nothing. It takes three for me to sleep. I'm a muscular 200 lb man. Don't know if size makes a difference. I can take 3 zopiclone and not sleep. I don't get a hangover on klonazepam but I can tell the next day I'm too relaxed. With a long half life does it build in your system. For instance if you to 1 mg a night would there be say. 25 left from the night before so your getting a little more every night even when nit increasing. Seems the discrepancy in half life. . As much as 50 hours to as little as 19. Could explain why some people have problems. Even at the same dose there is more and more in your system. This is more of a question. Im not stating this as fact but it seems such a long half life every night dosing would increase the level of it over time

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Clonazepam - The side effects of morning headache and nightmares appear to have disappeared and I'm getting about 6 hours sleep which is much better.
Yesterday I had a telephone appointment with my GP for 'update' and he agreed it was a good idea to do the- for example: 4 nights Clonazepam and 2 nights zopiclone.
He has prescribed a further 4 weeks supply and we will discuss again at that time.
I will be on holiday during this time and don't want to be in the mid of a medication switch.

Kupkee - when you say """5 clonazepam did nothing it takes three to sleep""" What dosage are you talking about.
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

kupkee
yes, clonazepam has a very long half-life, and since everybody's body is slightly different, we all process the same medication at different rates. Some people don't seem to have an issue with the buildup of clonazepam, which may be because they metabolize it faster, or perhaps even - I'm guessing - they just don't notice the difference (they're really chillaxed people?); but others will notice right away. If your body processes it with a 19-hour half life, it would still theoretically build up over time (on the morning after Day 3, you would have remaining in you roughly 1/8 of Day 1's dose, roughly 1/4 of Day 2's dose, and something over 1/2 of the previous night's dose) (I hope I did that right).

The body weight question is interesting but I don't know the answer. Some medications are dosed on a per-unit-body-weight basis, but others aren't, and I don't know why. I suspect body weight wouldn't affect half-life, except in significant obesity which can affect how some medications are metabolized; but probably Holland or someone who knows will chime in.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

polar bear wrote:The side effects of morning headache and nightmares appear to have disappeared and I'm getting about 6 hours sleep which is much better.
Well, that's sounding much better. I hope it continues.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:
polar bear wrote:The side effects of morning headache and nightmares appear to have disappeared and I'm getting about 6 hours sleep which is much better.
Well, that's sounding much better. I hope it continues.

Indeed!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mh380

Post by mh380 »

One more note of warning about benzos: my understanding is that they can mess with sleep efficiency. Specifically, they can suppress Slow-Wave and REM sleep, especially at higher doses. Obviously, if you can't sleep without them, low quality sleep is better than no sleep. But it's a good idea to find your lowest effective dose to minimize that potential side effect.

I think as long as you follow the 5-on 2-off recommendation, it should be easier to stay at lower doses.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I read a lot about better deep sleep once you are off clonazepam. I now have insomnia now that I am benzo free that I never had in my life. Everyone is different.

badnights

Post by badnights »

There's rebound insomnia - I am not sure how long you've been off, but if it's been less than a couple months, it may be something that will go away.

stitch

Post by stitch »

Hi all, Stitch here. It's been along time since I posted, very long time. I have been on clonazepam for years. Probably since the early 90's. I use to take 2.0mg's every night but now I am down to .05MG. and I don't intend to ever get off of it. I also take Pramipexole 0.5MG's three times a day along with Oxycodone HCL 5 mg 3 times a day for a very bad back because of back surgeries. At one time I was taking 180mg's of oxy a day and ended up in the hospital where they detoxed me. Lately my legs have been jumping at night. When I sleep I can only sleep on my back because of the surgeries and I end up moving my legs all over the place. It doesn't happen every night but for so long I didn't have any problems and was beginning to think maybe my RLS had going away. I will be 80 on June 8th and as far as I am concerned I don't plan on changing any of my meds.The only thing I would do is maybe switch to requip again. But right I would prefer to stay on what I am on because we just moved back to the Virginia area and I am starting with all new doctors

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hi Stitch
Probably your mega-does of oxy was treating the RLS/WED, and now that you don't have it anymore, your symptoms are breaking through. Probably the other thing that's happening to you is that you're augmenting from the rather high dose of pramipexole you're on.

You must be familiar with augmentation but for a refresher, check the recent posts (enter augmentation in the Search bar) and also get these brochures:
first go to the RLS Foundation website, click Patient at the top, click Publications at the left, and download "What is Augmentation?"
Become a member, log in, go to Members Only, click Member Publications at the left, and download "Augmentation: A quick Guide" and "Augmentation FAQ"All three of these brochures have valuable information.

Also, see the link below my signature. Get
- the extract from Clinical Management
- Buchfuhrer's 2012 paper