Clonazepam for Sleep

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Orrel

Re: Clonazepam for Sleep

Post by Orrel »

I have not posted in a long time because I have been going through the worst hell imaginable trying to get off clonazepam, a benzo. I was
prescribed this awful drug to help me get some sleep while withdrawing from a dopamine agonist. What I have experienced since
last September makes my rls look like child's play. I am very sensitive to this drug which seems to have fried my brain. I have been
going through benzo withdrawal syndrome. Just google it and you will find out information that I wish I had known before I took
this drug at a relatively small dose (.75 mg. for only a few weeks before I started to wean off it) Wikipedia has a good article on
benzo withdrawal syndrome. Also read anything by Heather Ashton, a British doctor, whose mission in life has been to get people off
benzos. For starters, google Ashton Manual. Few doctors understand benzos, especially how to get people safely off these very
dangerous, highly addicitive drugs. Clonazeoam should never be touted as a treatment for rls. I could go on and on about my personal
benzo hell but hopefully I have given enough info to persuade people to stay away for fear of developing benzo withdrawal syndrome
which has destroyed my life

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Orrel, thank you for this. Anything I've read would seem to indicate that it's ok as long as you never intend to come off it.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've had 4 nights on Clonazepam.
Nights 3 & 4 were very alike. About 3 hours of sleep, then awaken, for 30 - 45 minutes. Back to sleep for another 3 or 4. hours with a mini awakening.
Sleep is better on Clonazepam albeit a wee bit of a headache this morning.

Perhaps it is now time for a two night clonazepam break. I do have some zopiclone which I could use on a clonazepam free night.

It's a bit stressful at the moment with family illness and sleep would be highly welcome tonight but I need to take heed of the negative comments and control the intake of clonazepam.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

50% of users have no problems stopping it. Orrel and I fell into the other 50% unfortunately. I also used the Ashton manual to finally stop my personal hell.

While most people don't have dependence (and hence withdrawal issues) for at least a month or so after taking it, I'd suppose that stopping it every 1 or 2 weeks would be safest just in case. How long to stop it becomes the issue. The longer you take it, the longer the break.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The sleep is still working ok but I have a horrendous headache in the mornings which eases as the morning goes on but doesn't really go.

I have taken it for 6 nights and will now have a break from it and see what happens, especially with the morning headache.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

At least it doesn't last - the headache that is. And, you have slept more.

Now to the big question...do you feel better and more functional?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I know Views. I have slept more - and as I now head for bed I'm not sure what to do.

This morning whilst suffering the headache I said I'd take a break. Now wondering whether to do so and take one of my zopiclone instead which doesn't really do a lot, or perhaps try a half of a 500 clonazepam and see how that goes.

Not the best day to measure functional as I've got a cold and sore throat, however, getting more sleep is wonderful and it is possible that the headaches could pass.

I am just rambling on here, puttng down thoughts. When I mentioned to my friend who is a prescribing nurse, my concerns and others' comments about the difficulties of ever trying to get off Clonazepam her reply was........ ""Well you are now sleeping some, you are always going to need help to sleep, why are you concerned about coming off it if you are always going to need (its) help""
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I see her point of view...but often we do need to switch or stop for other reasons - they stop working or we need to take something else that conflicts. I just don't want to be in the boat if I can help it. It took me over six months to stop that drug - and it was like the movies of people in heroin withdrawal (not pretty at all). I was SO sick.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Following on with regard to my use of Clonazepam 500mcg for Sleep.
Night 7 - reduced to 250mcg - one awakening, 6 hours sleep and only a little headache.
Night 8 - 250mcg - 2 hours sleep- in total, that was it - could have wept with frustration.
Nights 9, 10, - back up to 500mcg - 7/8 hours sleep taking into consideration an awakening of about 1 hour. No headaches.

Nights like 9 & 10 were the best so far.

So tonight shall I go down to 250mcg again? or do without? I'll know better at bedtime.

Coincidental or not, I appear to be having less daytime breakthrough of RLS symptoms.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wonder if you have less breakthrough because you are less tired. I find when I sleep poorly for days that I am tired enough during the day that I have more symptoms. The more awake I am, the better! Regardless of the reason, so glad it is the case.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

PB: I think if possible, you should decide firmly whether you're going to take a regular holiday. If you decide you are, then you need to decide what schedule to try (eg. every 7th day, take one day off; use X medication instead on that day), and how long to try it for (eg. 3 weeks). Then follow that, religiously, until the time is up, at which point you re-evaluate. For me, and perhaps for you, that sort of approach would work better than trying to make a rational decision when I'm aching to sleep and unable to.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

badnights - you are absolutely correct.... I have been dithering .... But made a move yesterday.

Last night 'night 13' was a 'no clonazepam night'.
Because -----

Night 11 - 500 Clonazepam and got 3 or 4 hours sleep and up from 5am with blinding headache. To take Clonazepam I would want a better sleep than this, no headache.... and to lose the horrible bad dreams that I hadn't mentioned.

Night 12 - Took nothing --- gave in at 5am and took 250 Clonazepam - 3 hours sleep and terrifying panic nightmares.

""" CLONAZEPAM BREAK"""
So last night Sunday 1 May .... Night 13 - I took a Zopiclone and got 2 hours/up for 90 minutes/ another 2 hours sleep. No headache, no nightmare.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

UPDATE::
Nights 13, 14, 15, 16 were without Clonazepam.
I used zopiclone and sleep was around 3 or 4 hours for the first two nights.
On night 16 I got only 2 hours which was very unfortunate as next day (yesterday) I was working an 18 hour shift in the UK Election.

Last night (night 17) having had no Clonazepam for 4 nights, I took a clonazepam. This would hopefully give me some sleep and I'd see was there a headache upon awakening, and did I have nightmares.

Might as well not have taken it - I got one hour sleep, 5 hours after taking it.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not so good, huh.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

had a thought...have you tried gabapentin? I seem to recall that you did for a different purpose. Did it help you sleep?

Managing Your RLS