I have questions re Gabapentin and Buproprion for RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
sistergoldenhair416

I have questions re Gabapentin and Buproprion for RLS

Post by sistergoldenhair416 »

I currently take gabapentin, 900 mg/day (300mgX3) for a condition not related to my RLS, and will no longer need it for that condition. However, while taking the drug, I found that it helps my RLS. If I continue to take gabapentin for RLS, I want to know what dosage to start with. Also, I thought I read a mention in an old 'Nightwalkers' publication that recommended gabapentin in an extended release form for RLS, but haven't been able to locate any additional information. In addition, I take 300 mg/day Buproprion XL (Wellbutrin XL), which also seems to give me some relief. Can anyone enlighten me? In addition, I'm concerned about whether gabapentin will cause weight gain, and if it is dose related. I was doing very well on my weight-loss program until I started gabapentin 5 month ago, and haven't lost any more weight since I started it. If I can obtain relief with just the BuproprionXL, I rather just use that; however, if it turns out that I also need gabapentin, I'll want to know the lowest therapeutic doe and if I should take the extended release form. I'm open to any suggestions specific to the drugs gabapentin (Neurontin) and Buproprion XL (Wellbutrin XL). Thanks. SGH

ViewsAskew

Re: I have questions re Gabapentin and Buproprion for RLS

Post by ViewsAskew »

Most of the drugs we take can cause issues with weight. I honestly do not know if it is dose related. My guess is that just taking it changes your chemistry and would cause such things, but that dose could increase the effect in some - but just a guess.

If gabapentin works, there is no reason to take the other version - a pro-drug of it. Per the dose, some people can take as little as 100 mg and others need 900 - the max dose. You can take it up to 3x per day - so up to 2700 mg. I am tired, so hope I am remembering that correctly!

Buproprion also can help - but isn't usually used alone for it. Then again, if you tried it and it worked, that would be great!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I had been up to as much as 2400 mg per day or gabapentin. Am currently recyling with gabapentin at about at about 1200 mg per day along with some hydrocodone. When I first started out on gabapentin I, of course, stared out at a much lower dosage and worked by way up over the years. So, for me, I obtained some degree of relief at dosages in the 800 mg range and upwards. I never experienced any weight gain issues. I am not aware of a timed release gabapenting but there is Horizant which is a form of gabapentin that is more easily or more efficently utilized or metabolized within the body. It is generally much more expensive. As Views said, and which is the case for most medications, we all respond differently. So, what dosage and side effects you might experience could differ dramatically from mine. Best of luck.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I started out on gabapentin to prevent migraine headaches. But when I found that it also helped with the insomnia part of my RLS, I let my doctor know that this was now a dual purpose medication. I have been up as high as 1200 mg taken just before bedtime, but reduced the dose to 900 mg due to side effects. I take all 900 mg 30 minutes prior to bedtime because I know that this is how long I have before I start trying to fall asleep.

As for Horizant, the only thing that I can add to what Veiws and Sorjourner said is that your dose of gabapentin is working well, then there is no need to switch to the MUCH more expensive Horizant. Some people hit a point with gabapentin where taking more does not increase its effect because their body simply cannot adsorb more. Horizant works around this limit so that you can get more of the med into your system.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

TucsonGirl

Post by TucsonGirl »

I was on Tramadol until recently, when I switched to Horizant. I have good insurance and they pay for it. I wanted once a day dosing and did not want to keep needing to increase the dosage of gabapentin. When I was on Tramadol, I started bupropion (wellbutrin). I was very successful on Tramadol, but when I added the wellbutrin, it completely negated the tramadol effectiveness, and I had horrible rls symptoms for three nights until I figured out it was the addition of the wellbutrin that was the culprit.

badnights

Post by badnights »

@TucsonGirl: Interesting that bupropion worsened your WED/RLS. I have only heard of I think one other person it had that effect on, besides me. I didn't give it much of a chance, only 3 or 4 days, so I was never sure if my worsening was caused by the bupropion or was coincidental.

@sistergoldenhair416: If your insurance covers it, you might want to try Horizant just to see if the weight gain issue goes away. Horizant also is supposed to be more predictably absorbed, which might mean its effects will be more predictable - for instance, when I took gabapentin, if I didn't take it at exactly the same time every day, I had mood swings. But I agree that if gabapentin is working OK, don't mess with it, especially if your insurance won't cover the messing.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

sistergoldenhair416

Post by sistergoldenhair416 »

My thanks to those who responded to my post re Gabapentin and Buproprion. I talked with my Dr., and I'm going to taper down on the Gabapentin - I heard anecdotally that Gabapentin shouldn't be stopped abruptly-I guess that's a whole other question. We're going to see if the Buproprion will do the job, or if I'll need to add Gabapentin again, hopefully at a lower dose. Thanks also for clearing up the Horizant/Gabapentin XL question. My RX insurance is kind of stingy; this was good to know. Thanks again for your responses. SGH

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

During my gabapentin taper, feelings of anxiety, sometime strong, was the only notable reaction that I recollect.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.