Best way to get off of gabapentin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
saptree

Best way to get off of gabapentin

Post by saptree »

I am currently at 300 mg of gabapentin at night and ready to go completely off of it. I was on a higher dose but the side effects were too much. I'm using 5mg of oxycodone at night for RLS and it works well.
My dr says to take one 300mg capsule every other day for a week, then quit taking altogether.
I'm not sure that is a good plan. I do have 100mg capsules to use during the taper down.
Can you share what kind of taper down techniques you have used and had success with?

Thanks!

badnights

Re: Best way to get off of gabapentin

Post by badnights »

Unfortunately I didn't taper, I was taken off cold turkey. But following your doctor's advice would be a reasonable route to take. It does seem an odd taper for a medication with a half-life of only 5-7 hours, but maybe he thought you only had 3 mg pills. I can't see that it would hurt you, anyway; you;re down to a pretty low dose. Not much help, sorry.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't remember what I did!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I can't remember what I did!
you've been on so many different things, it's no wonder!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I would go down to the 100 mg tabs slowly, then every other day with those for a couple of days, then stop. You can be very sick to go off suddenly. I have 300 mg when my RLS is bad, and I also have 100 mg for going back off.