Central Apnea, Methadone Withdrawal, and Other Trials and Tribulations

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Central Apnea, Methadone Withdrawal, and Other Trials and Tribulations

Post by ViewsAskew »

Deb, I truly understand being so worried about augmenting. If you can find ANYTHING that would work for two days off, I honestly think you could go up to .25 of pramipexole (you are using .125 now, right?) and I would almost bet you'd not augment. It took you much longer than 5 days to augment, right?

I wonder if all opioids have the same ability/propensity to cause the issues with breathing as methadone does... I ask because the strangest thing happened to me last night. Earlier in the week I'd talked to one of our members about something else and he reminded me of the Opioid webinar by Dr Earley. I said I had not seen it. Dr Early makes the point that opioids work on different receptors. So, last night instead of suffering again, I used some hydromorphone and some methadone.

It worked very well - I slept 12 hours!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCNI_UCj7SI
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The problem is that I live at 8,200 feet. People who live at sea level usually don't have the issue. From what I understand, it is all opioids as well as mm j.
I just finished listening to the webinar. I don't know.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I've realized tonight that the withdrawal is probably over. I'm not having any RLS in my arms and legs. I've taken the Gabapentin and Mirapex. I'm awake. Only the opioids allow me to sleep.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I had taken an oxy last night and slept great. It's 3:30 am now and I am wide awake. No RLS PLM. I even took extra Mirapex. Also took one Norco. Just not enough.
I am leaning toward going back to methadone so that I can sleep. At least then I had a life. I would have to live with the consequences of having central sleep apnea.
I don't know.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I didn't get to sleep until after 4 am sometime. It is obvious that the Mirapex and Gabapentin are not allowing me to sleep. I have to baby sit again tomorrow, so I am taking an oxy. I have pretty much decided to go back on Methadone. My husband says that we will move. The thing is we need to wait until the house is paid for, 6 years. In that time we can finish the projects here. Only time will tell what happens.
I talked to the PA today and she said she wouldn't write for Methadone. That doesn't matter, the MD is the one who has been writing for it. I only went to see PA today, to educate her. I had seen her a couple of times and she seemed receptive. I will see doctor next week to see if she still agrees. I feel like it should be my choice. I know it will increase heart disease. I could stop breathing for good, have heart attack, or a stroke. But with sleep deprivation, it also increases heart disease, increase blood pressure, etc. I'd rather function now, than not at all.
Oh, Ann I can't take hydromorphone. It makes me sick. Oxy's help with sleep, but don't quite cover RLS. I don't want to keep taking Mirapex. Methadone is the best choice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Deb,
I don't recall, have you tried medical marijuana? It helps sleep for lots of people. I suspect it causes fewer sleep apnea problems than methadone.
Blessings,
Holland

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I brought that up to the doctor and he said no. It's legal here.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Deb - I wasn't suggesting hydromorphone was a good option for you; sorry I wasn't more clear. I was more excited to share that two opioids together might actually work better than one because they hit different receptors - and that it had indeed worked that way for me. Also I thought the video was very helpful to us in terms of explaining how the opioids are different and have different side effects. Fentanyl, for example, is nothing like morphine molecularly, so could work when hydromorphone does not (hydromorphone is very similar to morphine). And that buprenophine has a lot less respiritory depression - that might really help you! I often think I am out of options - but I realize when I see things such as this that I likely do have a few more things to try!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

No, I got it. I'm just not sure which opioid would work for me. I can't take fentanyl or hydromorphone. Oxycodone doesn't seem to cover all the RLS. Don't know about the buprenorphine. Sort of afraid of that one actually, since I always seem to be having surgeries. I still have another shoulder to do. Then, my right knee has messed up this week, and it was replaced in 2009. I have no clue what is wrong.
I do understand about the receptors. Is it too soon to restart the Methadone? I've been taking Oxycodone here and there.
If the other doctor would not even agree to mmj, I just don't know what's going to happen. I'm a planner, this upsets my apple cart.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I got three hours, awake an hour, then another six plus hours with an Oxycodone. I do believe that after so long, DA's just don't work anymore. Maybe it has to do with the receptors. I only took one Mirapex and two Gabapentin last night.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Being a planner is difficult in situations such as this, isn't it!

I am getting most of my sleep in the late morning these days - just going with it. But, it doesn't work when you have plans or places you have to be...

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Reality check. We can't move. We moved here five years ago and it nearly killed us. It took us months to prepare, etc. We are too old. We have no help. We get very little done now. It's an effort just to wash the dishes.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

As I lie here, totally exhausted, yet unable to sleep, I've been thinking about how my body feels. Tonight is a Mirapex night. I can feel my heart pounding. It feels like something running through my body. It's a hyperalert feeling. This just isn't right. My poor husband just isn't well enough to have to deal with me too.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Another thing that concerns me, is my compulsive behaviors whlile taking Mirapex. One has already begun .

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It is good that you are aware of your compulsive behaviours, Can you do anything about the one that has already started.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation