Central Apnea, Methadone Withdrawal, and Other Trials and Tribulations

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Central Apnea, Methadone Withdrawal, and Other Trials and Tribulations

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, I am very unhappy when I'm like that, too.

BTW, do you take a PPI? My sister-in-law does - she has Barrett's esophagus and has to. She's been really tired lately. She convinced her doctor to test her B vitamin levels because she read they aren't absorbed when using these acid reducers. Hers was so low that they ordered immediate injections.

I wonder if some of us are low, too? I can't remember who, but I know I recall some members talking about taking these.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

That is true for some people. I think for me it's sleep deprivation. When I get enough. I'm fine.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm seeing a pattern with the Oxycodone. I have been taking it between 9 and 10 pm. It seems to be lasting about four hours. I take Kratom in the evening. Then again after the Oxycodone stops. It works about two hours. So I take it again. I've been using the new bipap for four nights now. It's not wonderful, but I don't have a choice.
RLS is 24 - 7, so no naps. The PLMs can be so strong, it feels like my legs are being pulled out of the joints at times.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I have to report that the Oxycodone really isn't working well at all. I am tempted to just restart the methadone. It's a little over two weeks before my appointment. Not sure what to do.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I had the same problem with oxy - I'd get 4 max, and often only 2-3, hours of relief. It just wasn't enough and I was always at the high end of the dose range, without enough relief.

I honestly wish I knew how to help you, Deb. Those of us on this severe end of the symptoms spectrum are really screwed in a lot of ways, aren't we?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm going to have to go back on methadone. I'd rather except the consequences of central sleep apnea. It's the only thing that works. Just pray my doctor will write it.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I broke down and started using the Methadone. It's been three nights. Tonight will be the forth night. I had to get some sleep. The doctor won't be too happy. I see him Aug. 2. I feel a little better.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Have you been sleeping well while using it?

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Oh the madness of RLS symptoms and the associated lack of sleep. My RLS medication is a cocktail of ropinerole, maxitram (SR Tramadol) and co-codamol.

Sleep is another matter - the dreaded clonazepam which will give me about 3 hours, and then after a wakeful hour, probably another 3 hours, but occasionally/quite often waking with a headache. Sometimes I just take a half pill, sometimes I don't use it and take an antihistamine instead, one that was prescribed by my GP when I had an awful itchy rash. I also have some zopiclone that doesn't do an awful lot. My GP did a bit of research and agreed that certain sleeping pills do not greatly help the insomnia that comes with RLS and advised that clonazepam was recommended.
Regardless, my sleep is fractured and it's just a matter of how often.

I hope the methadone is helping you sleep until you see your doctor on 2 August.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Polar Bear wrote:Oh the madness of RLS symptoms and the associated lack of sleep. My RLS medication is a cocktail of ropinerole, maxitram (SR Tramadol) and co-codamol.

Sleep is another matter - the dreaded clonazepam which will give me about 3 hours, and then after a wakeful hour, probably another 3 hours, but occasionally/quite often waking with a headache. Sometimes I just take a half pill, sometimes I don't use it and take an antihistamine instead, one that was prescribed by my GP when I had an awful itchy rash. I also have some zopiclone that doesn't do an awful lot. My GP did a bit of research and agreed that certain sleeping pills do not greatly help the insomnia that comes with RLS and advised that clonazepam was recommended.
Regardless, my sleep is fractured and it's just a matter of how often.

I hope the methadone is helping you sleep until you see your doctor on 2 August.

Having had fractured sleep the last two months, I understand what you go through every night. I wish there was an answer for you.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

ViewsAskew wrote:Have you been sleeping well while using it?

The first couple of nights my sleep was just ok. Each night it is getting better. Last night was 12 hours, with bathroom breaks. I did have some symptoms, but was able to lay on that side and slept anyway. I used to do that before. During the last two months, I couldn't do that. The PLMs were just too violet. It is such a relief to be sleeping again.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

PB, FWIW I had a long conversation last week with my doctor about sleep issues and RLS. She is a sleep neuro as well as handles difficult RLS patients. I am certain that she is more concerned with long term aspects of my sleep problems, which include PLMS, than with my urge to move problems. She currently has me using gabapentin to be able to fall asleep and pramipexole to limit awakenings from my PLMS. But one of her thoughts about where we will go (probably after a new sleep study), was the use of clonazepam to allow me to finally get off of the pramipexole. All that sounded good until she mentioned that I would have to get off of the pramipexole before doing the sleep study. That should not be as big an issue as normal since I am still on methadone, but if my PLMS go crazy, it could mean VERY fractured sleep. And I have just gotten to the point where I am approaching 8hrs/night for the first time in over 8 yrs. :?
Steve

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Grrrr.... I did a comprehensive one finger at a time post using my Kindle whilst sitting in the garage and then found I was off-line !!

Steve, I remember reading your post about how your Sleep Neuro was more concerned about your sleep problems, there is quite a bit of talk about the damage of lack of good sleep. My current pattern is as good as it has ever been although the clonazepam doesn't give me a 'straight through' sleep. Often I'd be finishing my night's sleep at 10.30 am, happy to take it where I can get it. A total of around 6 hours, even if it is fractured, sure beats the times when I was going to work having had 2 or 3 hours, or even no sleep. Even taking into account the morning headache which either clears in about an hour or with the help of 400 ibuprofen.
Fortunately I do not suffer from PLMs.
When, a couple of years ago, I mentioned methadone to my very cooperative GP, he nearly lost power of his legs !! Mind you, if necessary I wouldn't hesitate to mention it again as he is willing to look at the Foundation site etc. It's ok at present as my rls symptoms are somewhat controlled as long as I take my medication on time..... very important to take it on time.

Such bliss that you are hitting 8 hours/night. I hope this continues for a very long time.

Deb.... Perhaps 2 x 3 hours per night is my answer :) compared to what I was coping with previously.
Well done on getting 12 hours. Such a gift.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

PB. Wish you could try the Methadone.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Interesting that your neuro, Steve, and mine are both thinking about clonazepam and PB is recently on it. I had SUCH a hard time stopping it that I'm very reluctant to go down that road. But, she seems to think that I'll still need the pramipexole, unlike your doc. Plus Lyrica or Horizant (she isn't a fan of gabapentin simply because of the very short half life). And maybe something else. She thinks 4-5 drugs combined, all small doses, will work best.

And, all that is well and good....but given I augment so quickly and she doesn't like infusions, how the heck is that going to work?

Interestingly, she wants me taking ALL my sleep meds when we do the next sleep study. Different reason, I suppose. She wants to ensure there are no hypopnias are apneas. But a good reminder that there are some good reasons to do a sleep study and those reasons may vary.

Managing Your RLS