Can I use klonopin with Kratom

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ethan

Can I use klonopin with Kratom

Post by ethan »

I recently started Kratom and it is doing wonders! I was using it with cannabis and the combo worked great. Unfortunately I have to stop the cannabis for a month to pass a drug test. Since stopping cannabis I am having issues with my sleep...the kratom is controlling the movements very well.

I have some .5 mg tablets of klonopin and was thinking of using it on a short term basis until I can resume cannabis....is this safe?

Thanks!

jul2873

Re: Can I use klonopin with Kratom

Post by jul2873 »

I don't know about klonopin, but I take a little agmatine sulfate before bed with my kratom and it makes me sleepy. You can get it on Amazon. I originally started taking it because I read that it would help with tolerance opioid issues, and it does help me to use less kratom. However, after awhile I noticed that I was very sleepy in the morning, even after I had had a good night's sleep, and I finally figured out that it was the agmatine sulfate. I did an internet search and found several other people who also noticed that. So now I just take a little agmatine sulfate--about a quarter of a teaspoon--before I go to bed with the kratom, and it works fine. Just don't take it later than midnight. Good luck to you.

badnights

Post by badnights »

You would be mixing an opioid-like substance and a benzodiazepine, which are both central nervous system depressants, so you would want to pay careful attention to dosing. Personally, I would try it, but I can't recommend it for you, you would have to make that determination yourself, knowing the risk of breathing depression which can potentially be fatal. Sorry I don't have actual experience to share with you.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Now, no idea how accurate this is....but a quote from Erowid:
"Respiratory Depression? When asked whether kratom was dangerous, leading medical toxicologist Edward Boyer replied:

People are afraid of opioid analgesics because they can lead to respiratory depression [difficulty breathing]. When you overdose on these drugs, your respiratory rate drops to zero. In animal studies where rats were given mitragynine, those rats had no respiratory depression. This opens the possibility of someday developing a pain medication as effective as morphine but without the risk of accidentally overdosing and dying. - Boyer E (professor of emergency medicine and director of medical toxicology at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.)3"
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

This is one of those instances where you need to consider your own personal situation and how the combination might affect you. It is not something that I would try, but that is because I already have a slow resting heart rate and respiration rate while asleep because I am an athlete. Therefore, I could not tolerate very much in the way of additional respiratory depression. You should consider whether your health and individual situation warrant an attempt. If you do go ahead, you should do it very slowly and try to figure out a way to evaluate the combination, maybe trying it during the day when your heart and respiration rates are elevated and you and/or someone around you would be aware of the situation if you did get into trouble.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

One thing to think of...what type of kratom are you using and how much do you take? From what I've read, even the so called sedating ones (reds, usually) can be invigorating if taken at a low dose - say 1-2 grams. They get sedating when you move up to 4-6 grams.

Another thought. Can you take gabapentin? Knocks me out better than clonazepam ever did. I was drugged and unable to function with clonazepam, but with gabapentin, I'm very tired, but can function if I need to get up or if the sensations/movements awaken me to the point I must get up. (like right now!)

Managing Your RLS

ethan

Post by ethan »

ViewsAskew wrote:One thing to think of...what type of kratom are you using and how much do you take? From what I've read, even the so called sedating ones (reds, usually) can be invigorating if taken at a low dose - say 1-2 grams. They get sedating when you move up to 4-6 grams.

Another thought. Can you take gabapentin? Knocks me out better than clonazepam ever did. I was drugged and unable to function with clonazepam, but with gabapentin, I'm very tired, but can function if I need to get up or if the sensations/movements awaken me to the point I must get up. (like right now!)

Ann,

I am not taking a big dose of kratom I am using a half teaspoon 3-4 times per night. I am using red vein borneo. Perhaps I should try a little more to see if I can get sedation.

Gabapentin is horrible for me- super sleepy the next day and depressed.

I hate the idea of using the klonopin or any benzo at this point BUT I am 5 weeks out from stopping Mirapex and my sleep has been terrible. Last night I used the kratom only (which did a decent job minimizing the movements) and I could not sleep until 4am. Its really a sad state of affairs in this country when I need to look for a solution that could be addictive (benzo) when a natural plant (cannabis) works. Oh well.

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

Ethan

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Ethan,

You might try a lower dose of gabapentin. It doesn't help my jumpy legs much, but does help sleep. 300mg makes me so groggy the next day I am completely non functional. 50 mg helps my sleep w/o causing groggyness the next day.

I take mirapex 0.125mg, kratom 720 mg, edible marijuana 14mg THC, and gabapentin 50mg 2 hours before bed. At 1-2 am I take another 1/2 dose kratom, edible mj, and sometimes another 50 mg gabapentin.

More and more I am finding that lower doses of multiple meds is better than full doses of one or two meds.
Blessings,
Holland

ethan

Post by ethan »

Holland,

The gabapentin I have is 300 mg capsules- when I took one it didn't really help me sleep- it just made me feel crappy the next day. That said, it won't hurt to try. They make 50mg capsules of gabapentin??

I normally vaporize MMJ bed and also take an edible at the same time (for me edibles take 2 hours to kick in). As I said, I need to take a hiatus from MMJ to pass drug test so that isn't an option right now.

I tried a number of different opiates (morphine, oxycodone, and dilautid) at fairly low doses and I am finding the kratom does a better job of controlling my movements (I have periodic limb movements- I don't have RLS). I have only used kratom a few days so I need to see if it will keep working. Often times things will work initially (opiates) and then become less effective.

It was SOOO hard to get off Mirapex...I am a little hesitant to use it again; however, if I do I will only take .125mg like you are doing.

Thank you for sharing whats working for you,

Ethan

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

I think they make 50mg gabapentin pills. I have 300 mg capsules and weigh out 50 mg on a $15 scale I got on amazon (oops price went up $21) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TDNAM/re ... vxbJ21VT5V
Blessings,
Holland

ethan

Post by ethan »

stjohnh wrote:I think they make 50mg gabapentin pills. I have 300 mg capsules and weigh out 50 mg on a $15 scale I got on amazon (oops price went up $21) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TDNAM/re ... vxbJ21VT5V

Holland,

I have a scale like that. Do you mix it in water after weighing it out?

Thanks!

Ethan

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

I put it in empty gelatin capsules. I also put kratom and edible marijuana in capsules. Available on Amazon.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wrote a response and submitted it about the same time as my computer had a glitch...hope I remember everything.

I, as Holland did, bought empty gelatin capsules - they come in various sizes and are very helpful for creating a smaller dose of something. Also, compounding pharmacies might create a smaller dose for you.

Per the kratom, I found that taking more less frequently helped me sleep better. So, twice instead of 3 or 4 times. Consider that one option.

Per the pramipexole, few people have augmented faster than I. And, I don't know of anyone else who used a DA for PLMS to have the augmentation cause severe, daily RLS as it did with me. When I stopped pramipexole in 2005, after 18 months of augmentation and multiple tries to stop it, no one would have convinced me I'd ever have used it again.

Yet I do. And have for a long time - years. The key, to me, is to 1) take the smallest dose you can - I cut .125 mg tablets into quarters; 2) never take it for very long - for me, this is five days, but now that my ferritin is higher, I've extended it to 30 days without an issue; 3) take a long enough break - at five days, I take a 2 day break, but at 30 days, I take a 7-10 day break.

Nothing works better on PLMS for me than pramipexole. As long as that is the case, I guess I'll have to take it and find a way to do so that doesn't screw with me too much.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

For what it's worth, I can't use gabapentin because it caused profound mood swings and depression in me, but I use pregabalin at a very low dose 5 days a week without any effect on my mood. It allows me a deeper, less fractured sleep.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

I've lately been using very low doses of Gabapentin for the same type of sleep Improvement. The standard 300 milligram capsule makes me completely non functional the next day. I actually sleep fairly well with my usual combination of Kratom, edible marijuana and 0.125 milligrams mirapex, all taken 2 hours before bed. I still do feel tired and run down the next day with that combination. I do mostly get 6-8 hours of sleep with that. When I add 50 milligrams of Gabapentin before bed to that same combination I sleep the same number of hours, however I feel I sleep more deeply and have more energy the next day, suggesting that it is a higher quality sleep.
Blessings,
Holland