Leg cramping in early morning and tingling in hands and feet

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepyCharlie

Leg cramping in early morning and tingling in hands and feet

Post by SleepyCharlie »

I have some odd symptoms developing over the past year or so. I wake up in the night, and especially early morning, with cramping beginning in feet, involving legs and even hands. After I've been up awhile the cramping lessens, but I'm left with tinginling in hands and feet for most of the day. I have been taking Pramipexole since 2000. Started with 0.125 mg each night, increased to 7mg daily, decreased to .25 mg with 15 mg hydrocodone daily at 8 pm for the past 5 years. RLS is basically under control, but I worry I may have some nerve damage causing this cramping. Sometimes it is so severe I have to jump out of bed to relieve the "charlie horses" in my feet and legs. I've been medicated for RLS since 1995. I hesitate to change the medication because my RLS is severe and is currently under control. Mirape was new on the market in 2000 when I started taking it. I have not seen any literature about what might dangers there may be in long-term use. Any ideas before I go back to my neurologist?

stjohnh

Re: Leg cramping in early morning and tingling in hands and feet

Post by stjohnh »

Lots of causes of this, but not likely nerve damage, RLS, or the medications you list. Lipitor and other cholesterol meds commonly cause this, as do kidney problems, some other meds and various hormone and electrolyte problems. Just tell your doctor what you feel. Some vitamin deficiencies can cause some of these symptoms.
Blessings,
Holland

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Also, not drinking enough water can cause leg cramps. It happens to me if I don't drink enough. I have to jump out of bed. They are awful, having nothing to do with my RLS.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Every night with these must get VERY annoying! They are so painful.

I've not heard of this as a side effect of the medications, either. Pain in the legs is a known side effect and one that you should see the doctor about. These sound much like a traditional charlie horse. I do wonder about the tingling. Is it common to have tingling afterward? I'd think seeing a doctor would be a good next step.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.