RLS, Depression and Anti-depressants

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Madmom02

Re: RLS, Depression and Anti-depressants

Post by Madmom02 »

Dropped the trazadone down to 50mg and no more nightmare. :)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Interesting. Hope it stays that way AND still helps you sleep.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Kratom does take care of my RLS symptoms. From reading Reddit I see that many people also use it as an antidepressant. And I'm pretty sure it lowers blood pressure. So you might consider trying it.

Madmom02

Post by Madmom02 »

I hope that I haven't come across as unappreciative of all the support you all gave me about the nightmares. I lost this thread and have been really struggling with my vision so I've not been able to participate. Thank you for all your words of support!

The nightmares are gone. Yay! The ropinirole isn't working well - I started another thread about my next step.

I do think the trazadone was helping me get a little more sleep. I'll probably stick with it at 50mg for a bit longer because, while it doesn't help the RLS, it, combined with .5mg clonazepam, is letting me sleep 4-5 hours.

Cheers to all and thank you!

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

excellent post! I've been wanting and REALLY needing to get on either an anti-anxiety or antidepressant, but I'm so concerned that it will activate my RLS. For the past month, I have really been suffering something terrible. Something has to give.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1 wrote:excellent post! I've been wanting and REALLY needing to get on either an anti-anxiety or antidepressant, but I'm so concerned that it will activate my RLS. For the past month, I have really been suffering something terrible. Something has to give.

I waited too long, I think, the last time the depression was bad enough to seriously affect my life. And, once the AD did its job and I was better, I was so glad I tried something.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I recall an article of Dr B where he stated that if depression/anxiety was an issue that the required medication should be used and any extra RLS symptoms (if any) should be dealt with accordingly.

There came a time when I had to consider taking an antidepressant (Citalopram) and refused it several times. Eventually I took the Citalopram but only after getting reassurance/promise from my GP that if my RLS increased he would without hesitation prescribe what would deal with the extra symptoms.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Last year after I recovered from my deep, near suicidal, depression, my RLS doctor chewed me out for not going to the ER to get help. When I told her that if I had, they would have given my an anti-depressant that would have put my RLS into overdrive. I will always remember her reply, "better to walk the halls of the hospital all night with RLS than I should lose a patient". Sometimes we get so tied up in managing our RLS that we forget that there are somethings that trump that concern.
Steve

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

""" I will always remember her reply, "better to walk the halls of the hospital all night with RLS than I should lose a patient". Sometimes we get so tied up in managing our RLS that we forget that there are somethings that trump that concern. """

Rustsmith -- exactly. The lesser of two evils.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I have other health issues and chronic pain that have me suicidally depressed for 60 percent of the time this year and lately 95 percent of the time. I have been extremely hesitant to get an antidepressant for fear that I will get no sleep or lose my job from being so drugged from additional RLS medications to counteract the anti depressant. I know if I don't get at least 5-6 hours a night it also increases the depression and anxiety and I can't afford that. I've been looking at Wellbutrin and Pamelor as something that might be worth a try. Side effects on Wellbutrin was insomnia and I've also been having difficulty getting xanax (spelling?) because I have clonazepam for the RLS combined with other medications that don't give me any side affects. Somehow the doctors think I will get addicted when as any of you know, I'm just the opposite: I won't take meds when I damn well need to!!!

I have an appointment with a psych. nurse to get some xanax as I think this will at least help with the really shitty periods and I can continue to take the clonazepam for RLS and sleep as well as gabapentin.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

it looks like pamelor might be my best bet. If anyone has used pamelor with their RLS please let me know.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut, so sorry to hear you are having this much trouble

To me, the good news is that most of us have no problems taking them. Even the ones that CAN (and I emphasize can) cause RLS in us only do so a small percentage of the time. At least 80 percent and upwards of 95 percent of us will have no issues with any given AD.

I get that when it does cause problems it is horrible. And, it makes it so scary to try, knowing that you could be one of those who is bothered. I put off trying for much too long in retrospect. Being depressed kept from working, from living, from everything. I lost so much more by NOT doing it. Of course, if someone had told me that when I wasn't ready, I'd not have listened. And, because what I tried did not bother me, I can much more easily say it's worth trying it! Even when statistics are on the other side, when we have had a bad experience, it's hard to see that there was a much greater chance that it would be fine and it just happened not to work out for us.

Do you have any time saved up at work for vacation just in case you need it?

In terms of the drugs, Pamelor (brand name) is nortriptyline, one of the older tricyclics. I tried Wellbutrin years ago - no issues with it in terms of RLS. Never tried nortriptyline.

Managing Your RLS

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

sorry its taken so long. new doc tomorrow not sure what ad i should try: pamelor or wellbutrin. have had difficulty getting a doc to give me an ad. got to get a break from this internal hell. have had to increase th3 meds 4 to 5 times the amount within the past few weeks. my fear is there will be no med to counteract the ad effects and anticipation of the terrible pain.the

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Let us know how it works out.

Managing Your RLS

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Doctor didn't prescribe me one. Wasn't sure what to do with the RLS. I guess I'm scared I'll be in so much pain I would be able to stand it with the AD and I expressed that. I'm going to see my neurologist next week to see if he can give me another prescription (i.e. an additional med) in addition to the ones I have so I can get the sleep stabilized first.