RLS, Depression and Anti-depressants

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Madmom02

Re: RLS, Depression and Anti-depressants

Postby Madmom02 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:18 pm

Dropped the trazadone down to 50mg and no more nightmare. :)

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Interesting. Hope it stays that way AND still helps you sleep.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Postby jul2873 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:53 am

Kratom does take care of my RLS symptoms. From reading Reddit I see that many people also use it as an antidepressant. And I'm pretty sure it lowers blood pressure. So you might consider trying it.

Madmom02

Postby Madmom02 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:56 pm

I hope that I haven't come across as unappreciative of all the support you all gave me about the nightmares. I lost this thread and have been really struggling with my vision so I've not been able to participate. Thank you for all your words of support!

The nightmares are gone. Yay! The ropinirole isn't working well - I started another thread about my next step.

I do think the trazadone was helping me get a little more sleep. I'll probably stick with it at 50mg for a bit longer because, while it doesn't help the RLS, it, combined with .5mg clonazepam, is letting me sleep 4-5 hours.

Cheers to all and thank you!

peanut1

Postby peanut1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 am

excellent post! I've been wanting and REALLY needing to get on either an anti-anxiety or antidepressant, but I'm so concerned that it will activate my RLS. For the past month, I have really been suffering something terrible. Something has to give.

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 am

peanut1 wrote:excellent post! I've been wanting and REALLY needing to get on either an anti-anxiety or antidepressant, but I'm so concerned that it will activate my RLS. For the past month, I have really been suffering something terrible. Something has to give.

I waited too long, I think, the last time the depression was bad enough to seriously affect my life. And, once the AD did its job and I was better, I was so glad I tried something.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:09 pm

I recall an article of Dr B where he stated that if depression/anxiety was an issue that the required medication should be used and any extra RLS symptoms (if any) should be dealt with accordingly.

There came a time when I had to consider taking an antidepressant (Citalopram) and refused it several times. Eventually I took the Citalopram but only after getting reassurance/promise from my GP that if my RLS increased he would without hesitation prescribe what would deal with the extra symptoms.
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Postby Rustsmith » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Last year after I recovered from my deep, near suicidal, depression, my RLS doctor chewed me out for not going to the ER to get help. When I told her that if I had, they would have given my an anti-depressant that would have put my RLS into overdrive. I will always remember her reply, "better to walk the halls of the hospital all night with RLS than I should lose a patient". Sometimes we get so tied up in managing our RLS that we forget that there are somethings that trump that concern.
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

Polar Bear

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:49 am

""" I will always remember her reply, "better to walk the halls of the hospital all night with RLS than I should lose a patient". Sometimes we get so tied up in managing our RLS that we forget that there are somethings that trump that concern. """

Rustsmith -- exactly. The lesser of two evils.
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Return to “Prescription Medications”