Starting Neupro tomorrow

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
VonZuvius

Starting Neupro tomorrow

Post by VonZuvius »

Doctor gave me samples and told me to try 1 mg for a week, the 2 mg for a week, then 3 mg etc. He said to stop increasing when I reach dose that works and I'll call for a script at that dose and I don't go beyond 4mg.

My questions are:
1) how soon did you get relief and at what dosage? Was it days or weeks?
2) what did you do if your skin was irritated? did you put any ointment on that area after removing it? If so what did you use? Hydrocortisone? Triamcinolone?

I used a patch for testosterone treatment and it irritated my skin so I'm wondering if I'll have the same issue with this?

I have the pain day and night, but worse in evening and bedtime.

I've had this pain for 3-4 years and am SO HOPING AND PRAYING this will bring some relief!
I'd been taking meds for neuropathy, but neurologist just said what I have is not neuropathy and he believes it is RLS - my feet/toes hurt worse than my legs but they do have the tingling/can't stretch enough there too.

Thanks for any advice for this newbie!

ViewsAskew

Re: Starting Neupro tomorrow

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hopefully the doc asked you the following:

Does it bother you more at night than during the day?
More at rest than when active?
Is the feeling/sensation resolved with movement?
Do you have an URGE to move along with the sensation?

Most of us find that we MUST move and that when we do, the sensation and urge both go away.

Per the Neurpo - mine hit a therapeutic dose in about 3 days, IIRC - not sure the dose, though. I didn't find that it irritated my skin, though I did move it around and use it in different places.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

VonZuvius

Post by VonZuvius »

Thanks for you response - and yes - the neupro doc asked me all those questions and that was after doing a nerve conduction test and EMG test.

Yes - it bothers me more in evening and night
Yes - more at rest - esp reclining or lying down
Yes - resolves some with movement or massage/rubbing but only as long as I keep moving or rubbing
Yes - I feel like I have to move and I can't stretch enough to make it completely go away

badnights

Post by badnights »

I have no experience with Neupro, sorry.
Has your ferritin been checked? RLS/WED severity has been linked to low ferritin. Also, Neupro is a DA, and low ferritin is linked to augmentation caused by DA medications (see the links in my signature for more info on augmentation)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Neupro helped me in a day or 2. Yes, I got a rash, and rash is a very frequent cause of stopping neupro. Biggest problem for me was lower stomach area. I just skipped those areas. Also be aware, it is VERY expensive, hopefully you have good insurance coverage.
Blessings,
Holland

VonZuvius

Post by VonZuvius »

First 12 hours of patch done and so far so good - just a little nausea after eating dinner but not intolerable - just took a gas tablet and that seemed to help.
Do have a little dizziness but just going easy.

Can't wait til morning to see if it is red but it doesnt hurt or itch yet so praying all goes well.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Fingers crossed!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

VonZuvius

Post by VonZuvius »

Day 3 update -

No skin irritation- worried about and prayed the most about this side effect.

Nausea - stronger today - just hoping it gets better and goes away

Legs and feet are still bothersome - don't think the 1 mg strength will do it for me but going to finish out the week on it before going higher.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not that it helps now, but the nausea does often go away in a week or so.

Is it helping at least some?

Managing Your RLS

VonZuvius

Post by VonZuvius »

It MAY be helping slightly but not sure if I'm just trying to convince myself that it helps.
I'll increase dose after a week unles it stops hurting all the way

badnights

Post by badnights »

sucks that there isn;t much relief considering the price in nausea that youre paying :(
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

VonZuvius

Post by VonZuvius »

Yes I agree there but I'm hoping it is helping a little and hope even more that it'll help more as I increase the dosage