Safety, driving, work questions

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
leggo_my_legs

Safety, driving, work questions

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Considering opioids and MM... I'm wondering how people esp. in the US, handle the legal risks associated with being someone who may test positive for drugs in employment and vehicle accidents, even if not caused by the drug?

This is a big concern I have. I mean, do you just pray it doesn't happen that you're in a car accident--god forbid an at fault accident, get tested at hospital and law enforcement trouble due to positive test? Is the hospital permitted or required to contact police upon positive test? Even if the drug is in a steady state and you're not showing signs of intoxication, I imagine you could still be charged? And yet it also seems one can't stay home and never go out because you're on daily opioids? How are people handling this concern?

Medical MJ is high on my list to try, but I checked it out with HR friend of mine who was very discouraging re employment, even if you have a card they can refuse to hire you or fire you based on federal law. Very frustrating since from what I'm reading the safety profile of MM seems better. I would prefer trying it first over opioids but I know it stays in hair forever.

Maybe I am being punished for being cynical re card carriers before my diagnosis. :(

jul2873

Re: Safety, driving, work questions

Post by jul2873 »

Kratom is still legal in most states, and has zero effect on your driving. Actually, it may even make you more alert, if you take one of the kinds that are stimulating, like the green leaf varieties or maeng da.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Usually - for most of us - any sedating effect from opioids wears off in a short time. More likely, though, is that it won't sedate you but actually make you more awake!. That said, I don't drive at night or even in the day if I am tired. The tiredness from months of no sleep is much worse, for me, than most drugs. And, drugs such as gabapentin make me MUCH more tired than opioids.

No idea about employment. When I was drug tested, it was only for illegal street drugs, so the opioids I took legally weren't an issue. MM - again, no idea.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

For employment, the issue of MM will depend upon the employer. Many companies in Colorado bemoan the fact that it is difficult to find "clean" people to employ. Before we moved, a friend said that the major hotel outfit that she worked for was recruiting people from the operations around the country to come to Denver. They would get a nice promotion but had to agree to stay "clean".

As for driving, that is a bit trickier. Everyone in law enforcement agrees that the marijuana DUI guidelines are impractical. A chronic user could be well above the legal limit and have 0% impairment. A first timer could be well below and intoxicated to the point of drunkenness. So, at this time it is pretty much guaranteed employment for the attorneys that fight DUI's. If you can pass the field sobriety test, it is highly likely that the judge would throw out the case. But of course, you are out attorney fees at that point.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Rustsmith wrote: Many companies in Colorado bemoan the fact that it is difficult to find "clean" people to employ.

:lol: You have a way with words lol! :lol:
Maybe CA will be similarnow since we've just legalized it for recreational use.

Thank you all for weighing in,

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

I was wondering about this exact issue - the impact of my OxyContin on driving - both from a legal perspective and also in terms of whether it actually impacts on my reaction times. Also whether it would have a significance in terms of employment prospects and the attitude of insurance companies if I ever want life assurance to support a mortgage.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

leggo - without asking for specifics, what part of CA are you in? I've yet to meet our So Cal members, but there are several of us.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS