Advice on splitting Gabapentin capsules?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
yawny

Advice on splitting Gabapentin capsules?

Post by yawny »

I'm going to give Gabapentin a try and my doctor wants me to split the 100mg capsule into a quarter dose because I'm usually sensitive to medications. I took a look at the capsule...it's very small and consistently splitting up the powder by eye will be a challenge. Any ideas? Thanks

stjohnh

Re: Advice on splitting Gabapentin capsules?

Post by stjohnh »

Wow. That is a challenge. I have 300mg capsules and use a milligram scale ($17 Amazon) to weigh the 50mg doses I take.

Perhaps empty a capsule onto a flat glass plate and use a razor blade to divide it into 4 equal piles. 25 mg is a very small dose. Don't cough or sneeze while you are working!!

I find that the 50mg I take 2 hours before bed, with an additional 50mg 4 hours after the first dose improves my sleep quality. By that I mean it doesn't help much to fall asleep or stay asleep (the marijuana does that fairly well), but I feel less sleep deprived the next day.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I also have a scale. Bought it for such things. I didn't care if it was extremely accurate,as long as I could weigh the total and then split it equally. I think I spent about 10 dollars (US) on it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

Thanks so much Holland and Ann...I will try all of these things. I have a scale, a plate, and a razor...I'm looking forward to living my Scarface fantasy. It's just never too late in life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wish I'd had a scale that would handle small amounts when I had to stop clonazepam. My withdrawal took many months and I'd literally have to shave off bits each week to lower the dose because cutting more than that put me in the classic vomiting/sweats/body pain withdrawal. Now that I have one, it makes things so much easier.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

I know what you mean, I have a 1 gram scale and it wasn't doing the job, the small job, so I took your and Holland's suggestion and bought a 1 mg scale on Amazon. I couldn't find one with a sneeze guard though. :)

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Yawny, be aware that your 100mg capsules probably have more than 100mg powder in them. There will be 100mg gabapentin plus 10-50mg of binders, anticaking agents, etc. If you decide to weigh the 25mg doses you will need to weigh the contents of a capsule and divide by four. Likely the 25mg of gabapentin will be 30-35 mg of powder.
Blessings,
Holland

yawny

Post by yawny »

Thanks Holland...this is all new to me and I appreciate everyone's help.

I was reviewing treatment options at Dr Buchfuhrer's website (http://www.rlshelp.org/rlsrx.htm#Anti-seizure) and under Neurontin/Gabapentin noticed the statement "The effectiveness of this medication often diminishes after 1-2 years." That surprised me. Has anyone experienced this?

badnights

Post by badnights »

I used a folded card (very thin cardboard) that I emptied the capsule onto (the fold crease made it easier to pour into containers later). I used another card as Holland suggested a razor blade be used, to spread the pile out into a long pile of even thickness, I had about 10 equal divisions marked out on the folded card, so I could separate the long pile into fourths. It was crude but it worked. A scale would be better.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Before I had a scale, I just guessed!

Managing Your RLS

yawny

Post by yawny »

My scale (milligram precision jewelry scale) arrived and wow it made a huge difference in dividing up a capsule! If anyone else needs to do this, I'd suggest not hesitating because the cost ($17) was worth it for the convenience and accuracy. I used small squares of parchment paper to move the medicine around and made a scoop out of a straw (trim the top half off one end about 1/2 inch long)...my husband just asked, "do you really need to give such details?" And I said, "these are my peeps and they're sleep deprived, so yeah I need to give details." :D

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Details are so helpful - thank you, Yawny - you could let your husband know that your efforts are appreciated!

badnights

Post by badnights »

legsbe - where did you order it from? I have been wanting one for years. I have all these old 18mg and 12mg pills from before I got assertive and demanded it be prescribed in smaller doses so I could spread it out. I have consumed all the backup I had, other those than big pills, what with all the travelling and being late filling prescriptions lately.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

yawny

Post by yawny »

Here's where I got my scale...it's such a breeze to split pills now. And I'm confident I'm getting the same amount night to night which lessens my anxiety...one less drop in the bucket but I'll take it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ES ... UTF8&psc=1

badnights

Post by badnights »

thanks - I've ordered one