Gabapentin vs Horizant

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
lhoff12085

Re: Gabapentin vs Horizant

Postby lhoff12085 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:51 pm

I've been Gabapentin 30 minutes before bed, just like Steve, even tho my doctor said to take it 1 hour before. I find it makes me sleepy and like Steve, if I push through it, then I can't sleep. I also figured that it would make it last longer over night. I've had success with the Gabapentin for the last week. Wonder why my doctor was so reluctant to prescribe it. BTW I also take Zolpidem for insomnia and the two together work very well for me.

yawny

Postby yawny » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 pm

I take 200mg Gabapentin (30 mins before bed), and am thinking of asking my neurologist for a small trial of Horizant to see how they compare. Does anyone have experience with both of these medications...Is there anything I should be aware of? I'm wondering what the sleep duration is for Gabapentin versus Horizant? Are the doses equal to each other?

Rustsmith

Postby Rustsmith » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 pm

yawny, the primary difference is that Horizant is more readily and reliably adsorbed by the body. Once in the bloodstream, Horizant is converted to gabapentin. As for doses, Horizant is generally a little be lower dose since it is more completely adsorbed.

My doctor had me try Horizant (600mg vs my normal 900mg gabapentin). The two did exactly the same thing for me. My doctor was very disappointed because he worked on the clinical trial for Horizant. I wasn't because Horizant was going to cost me $300/month and gabapentin is less than $10.

With that said, it is certainly worth a try. It appears that I don't have a problem adsorbing gabapentin, but others do. If you are one of them, it is a way to get more gabapentin into the blood stream where you need it to be (and less flowing out of the intestines where it does no good).
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stainless

Postby Stainless » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:42 pm

I was surprised my last gabapentin prescription was in 800 mg. tablets. Kind of a horse pill but seems to work the same as two capsules. I agree about taking either 30 minutes before bed.

yawny

Postby yawny » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks Steve & Stainless...

Does anyone out there know...I'm wondering if the duration is different or the same for Horizant vs. Gabapentin? I'm always looking for ways to get more sleep.

stjohnh

Postby stjohnh » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Gabapentin duration of action is considered to be 6-8hrs. Horizant is 12 hours. However that doesn't really tell us how long they work for supressing the urge to move for RLS, and almost certainly the effectiveness at helping sleep is different than how long it suppresses the urge to move. Additionally, it is near certain that epigenetic and genetic factors can make an individual person have much longer or shorter duration of effectiveness than the averages listed in the studies cited by the manufacturer. Also the gut microbiome (the total of all the different bacteria in the intestine) seems to have a marked effect on the absorption of gabapentin.
Blessings,
Holland

Return to “Prescription Medications”