Quitting Neupro Cold Turkey

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
IThinkImInTorture

Re: Quitting Neupro Cold Turkey

Post by IThinkImInTorture »

I took one oxycodone at midnight and it made my RLS worse.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I suspect your RLS was going to get worse anyway and the oxycodone stopped it from getting as bad as it was going to. Oxycodone will invariably help RLS/WED symptoms. But maybe there's something weird going on with the Ultram, like QyX says might happen?

I hate to think of you giving in and taking Requip or pramipexole after going thru all this torture to get off the Neupro. The oxycodone should help you, but I doubt you have enough to see you til Apr 27 - - however, you might not need as much in a few days, as the withdrawal passes its peak.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

InTorture, my experience when coming off a dopamine agonist was that one oxycodone tablet was not enough (depending on the tablet - mine were 5 mg) I needed 30 mg oxycodone when withdrawing from dopamine agonist. I understand your anxiety about getting the correct treatment if you do eliminate neupro - it can be difficult to access the most effective drugs. You should bear in mind however that you will not find out what drugs are genuinely effective until you get the dopamine agonist completely out of your system if you are augmented. I would second Beth's suggestion of getting hold of kratom which is quite helpful at least with moderate rls symptoms and doesn't require a prescription.

IThinkImInTorture

About an hour after taking the oxycodone tablet last night I finally peacefully fell asleep. I am calling my neurologists office and they just tell me to go back on the Mirapex and ultram combination. I can get an appointment with him on Monday but that is 3 days away! I am legitimate!

The worst part of all of this stems from the fact I was counseled at work for asking things twice, needing more attention to detail and need to be more autonomous after 1 year on the job. I attribute this to the short term memory problems with Neupro.

It is 9:43am Friday and I definitely feel like I rested because I feel alert, a little cranky like a Saturday morning. My calves have muscles spasms but I don't feel incapacitating like I do when I tried to lie down to go to sleep.

Where can I get Kratom? The vitamin shoppe, vitamin store or where?

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Where you source your kratom will depend on where you are in the world. In the US, I believe it is legal but I'm not sure what shop you would go to to find it - maybe an internet search would help. Here in Ireland it was legal up until last year and one could buy it in rather seedy shops called 'Head' shops which marketed themselves as providing a legal 'high'. Now I purchase it mail order from Holland but it is a bit complicated.

IThinkImInTorture

An hour after taking the oxycodone I fell asleep just fine. I didn't need a oxy codone to fall asleep Friday night but Saturday 4pm I couldn't take a nap because of my RLS. I'll take 1 ultram before my evening 3 ultram to take the edge off my calves. My neuro wouldn't upgrade me to oxycodone, wants me to go back on mirapex and ultram. I have an appt Monday 1145am.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I highly suggest you go to the link in badnights' signature, print that, then highlight the parts about augmentation and NOT using it after augmenting multiple times. Then say you found this research paper (don't say you found it on the internet!) and that you were wondering if this applied to you and what the doctor thought about it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

That is excellent advice

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

If you are a member of the Foundation, they also have a number of publications that are available to members and a number of these deal with augmentation. Some of these would also be appropriate for sharing with your physician. If you are not a member, the cost is $25/yr and they have scholarship memberships for those who need them.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

IThinkImInTorture

I just read the whitepaper that discusses augmentation, shiw it to myneuro.
I was stable on three nightly ultram so that is where I will shoot for at my appt Monday.
Note: The paper mentions slow release oxycodone.

badnights

Post by badnights »

That's a good one to give him. I would also invest the $30 or whatever it is to become a member of the Foundation so you can access their Medical Bulletin. Follow the link in my signature to see how.

bout an hour after taking the oxycodone tablet last night I finally peacefully fell asleep. I am calling my neurologists office and they just tell me to go back on the Mirapex and ultram combination.
It is my heartfelt opinion that you will be much better off if you do not go back to a DA, and I hope you don't let this neuro convince you to! If he does not respond to the information you provide, you need another doctor who will. I can't emphasize that enough. Start looking into who you can see, because there's often a long wait. Do you live near any of the Foundation's Quality Care Centers? https://www.rls.org/treatment/quality-care-centers
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

IThinkImInTorture

I see Johns Hopkins is the closest center to me. I went to Hopkins and was treated by a doctor there for RLS. My ferritin was checked and I stabilized with ultram. I found a neurologist closer to home as Baltimore had many riots and the hospital is in the heart of Baltimore. Karen from the RLS group referred me to a neurologist she sees so I have set up a new patient appointment April 27 as a plan B for my meeting on Monday with my current Neurologist. Thanks for all the great insite!

badnights

Post by badnights »

Sounds like you're on your way to getting sorted out! Good for you.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

QyX

Post by QyX »

I totally agree:

It is my heartfelt opinion that you will be much better off if you do not go back to a DA, and I hope you don't let this neuro convince you to! If he does not respond to the information you provide, you need another doctor who will. I can't emphasize that enough. Start looking into who you can see, because there's often a long wait

This is the way to go. I know it is a long battle and sometimes a very very long.

Until you found a Doctor: it is safe to use Tramadol in doses up to 400 mg but please no more. Small overdoses can unfortunately already in doses like 500 mg but 400 mg is safe.

Good Luck with the Oxycodone! I hope you find a Doctor who is willing to write a prescription soon.