Good sleep results with Belsomra

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Dkee

Good sleep results with Belsomra

Post by Dkee »

The abbreviated story: I have not been able to get to sleep before 3 AM for the last 5 years because as I described it, "I could not shut my mind down." In other words I couldn't stop thinking about things (any and everything). Over the last 5 years I have tried Many drugs with poor results UNTIL I TRIED BELSOMRA. I am only into my 4th day of taking this medicine but they have been the best 4 days in 5 years. I started with 10mg the first 2 days and then went to 20 mg. The drug doesn't make me sleepy but it allows me to shut down my mind so I can sleep and the sleep has been high quality sleep. When I wakeup in the morning I am alert and without any bad side effects. I don't believe this drug is everyone's cure-all but for those of us who's mind tries to stay alert at all times and keep us awake it may well be our panacea. The one this I can't report as yet is how well does this drug work over the long haul. I have found that my body adapts to some drugs over time and they become ineffective, we will have to see how well Belsomra holds up 3 months down the road. The only negative is the price of the drug, there is no generic for Belsomra as it is a new drug and works in a new way from other sleep drugs. If you don't have insurance it will be quite expensive. It wouldn't matter for me at least...what ever the cost it is well worth it as I'm sure you know if you have sleep deprivation. If you are using this drug I would love to hear your experience too. Here's to "Belsomra" and a good nights sleep!

Rustsmith

Re: Good sleep results with Belsomra

Post by Rustsmith »

Belsomra is the only medication that I ever had my insurance company refuse to cover, and that is significant since they covered an exceedingly expensive MS drug for my wife (more than $48K per year). However, since I had a prescription for it, I was able to get enough pills for a month with the manufacture's assistance plan. Put quite simply, they did nothing for me. Even Ambien and Lunesta did more, but everyone is different and I am glad that it is helping you.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Dkee

Post by Dkee »

Sorry to hear that Ruth, I have BCBS and they have paid for the first prescription. I understand that it's expensive and some of us can't afford the purchase every month. I understand Horizant is also expensive and works for some people. Does anyone have any ideas on how those of us who either don't have insurance or our insurance pays a very limited amount towards these expensive drugs can manage to acquire them at a more reasonable price?
Ruth how did the drug (Belsomra) work for you that month you were able to acquire it?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The only options I know of when someone cannot afford them are:

1) Some pharma companies (at least in the US) have assistance programs - not sure if it is only for those with limited incomes or anyone whose insurance will not cover it. You apply and they give you the meds at a discount - but they usually have a limited number of slots.
or
2) Most drug stores have a program you can pay to join - Walgreen's charged me $20 for theirs - and the drugs are then less. I didn't have insurance to cover pramipexole last year. It was $300 or more if I remember correctly. With the program, it was under $100 (cannot remember exact costs).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Dkee

Post by Dkee »

I want to clarify my original post about Belsomra. I do not use this drug to deal with the urge to move my legs, I use it instead to help me get into the mental relaxed state required to sleep. I use other drugs for the leg movement problem. For me correcting one without correcting the other is just an effort in futility when it comes to trying to sleep.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Dkee wrote:I want to clarify my original post about Belsomra. I do not use this drug to deal with the urge to move my legs, I use it instead to help me get into the mental relaxed state required to sleep. I use other drugs for the leg movement problem. For me correcting one without correcting the other is just an effort in futility when it comes to trying to sleep.

So many of us need something such as this! Hope it continues to work well for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS