comorbid migraines

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
fuz_mind

comorbid migraines

Post by fuz_mind »

hi just wondering if there are people out there who have comorbid migraines and what medications have you guys tried that doesn't worsen or maybe even helps with the rls?

stjohnh

Re: comorbid migraines

Post by stjohnh »

My brother has mild RLS and very severe migraines. He says gabapentin helps both.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thankfully my migraines were not frequent enough to use medication - maybe 3-4 a year. They have greatly decreased with age - I haven't had one in over a year now. I know a few others have had them - hopefully they will see this.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I originally convinced my neurologist to change my migraine medication to gabapentin because I expected that it would also help with my RLS. She told me that it wouldn't - and that was the last time that I saw her. Gabapentin is more effective at preventing my migraines that any medication that my doctors had given my previously and the fact that it is also the only thing that helps me fall asleep makes it a wonder drug for me.

The only other migraine med that I use is sumatriptan, which is on an as needed basis for when a headache does try to get started. Between the two, I haven't had a major, disappear into a dark room, migraine now for several years. They used to be about once a week.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I also use to have the awful jangle headache migraines where it was agony to even move your head. Perhaps twice a month, but haven't had them for years. Even ordinary headaches are now a rarity. I assumed that it was the pain relief I use for RLS that was taking care of the headaches/migraines.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

hopefully i get more replies!

i had a bad reaction to a low dose of gabapetin so that's out for me; my neuro initially suggested amitryline which I declined because it might make the rls worse; he then suggested beta blocker (which will make me more tired as a side effect!) ...... so I'm stucked.......

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My doctor kept suggesting amitryptiline to help me sleep and also as easement for my fibromyalgia. I refused many times.
Eventually I gave the amitryptiline a go, can't say it helped much with sleep but it did affect my ability to concentrate, felt fuzzy and woolly all the time.
So I stopped it.

However, it didn't appear to have any negative effect on my RLS.
So strictly from my own experience - It might be worth a very short trial with the amitry if it is just its effect on RLS that you are concerned about - (and not the other side effects).
Other members may feel differently.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

fuz_mind, before I started using gabapentin for my migraines, my doctors had me on a variety of other drugs. The first one was topiramate. It worked fairly well and I was on it for about 4 yrs. Early on, my doctor had me on such a large dose that I realized that it had completely blocked all emotions. I was raised with classical music and realized that I had a problem when we went to a symphony concert where the music should have evoked emotions, and I just heard the music. I finally gave it up when its best known side effect got to me. Topiramate often causes problems with recalling names. I faked it for about 2 years and realized it was time to give it up when I started having issues with all proper nouns.

The second med that I was on was zonegran. It also worked well with the migraines, but I had an unusual side effect where it was causing kidney problems during my marathons. The issue was potentially dangerous, but only happened during my runs. My idiot doctor tried to say that it was nothing and wasn't the zonegran, but I knew better. It was even listed as one of the less common side effects. That was when I got my first gabapentin prescription and was part of the basis for firing her.

Finally, before I started with the topiramate, my GP had me on a different type of medication but it was so long ago that I don't remember what it was. It might have been doxycycline, but I could very well be wrong about that since I have taken doxy for other reasons. I was still working full time at the time and told him that I could not risk the issue with recalling names. It wasn't as effective, but it was better than nothing.
Steve

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

[quote="Rustsmith"]fuz_mind, before I started using gabapentin for my migraines, my doctors had me on a variety of other drugs. The first one was topiramate. It worked fairly well and I was on it for about 4 yrs. Early on, my doctor had me on such a large dose that I realized that it had completely blocked all emotions. I was raised with classical music and realized that I had a problem when we went to a symphony concert where the music should have evoked emotions, and I just heard the music. I finally gave it up when its best known side effect got to me. Topiramate often causes problems with recalling names. I faked it for about 2 years and realized it was time to give it up when I started having issues with all proper nouns.

thanks rustsmith for sharing your experience, especially about blocking of emotions - it will bother me. my doc advised agst topiramate for me because of the cognitive problems and weight loss as side effect that he is not keen for me to go through...

(to put it in context, i lost close to 8kg when doc started me on ropinirole a year + ago and he was prepared to admit me for tube feeding because of my low body weight. even now i'm still underweight although i have gained some weight back.....)

zonegran is not available in my country..... more decisions to make I guess!

badnights

Post by badnights »

One thing to consider when deciding what to try, fuz, is that a listed side effect is not inevitable. Some people get them, some don't. As Betty suggested, the only way to find out if you will get a particular side effect is to try the med. You do have to consider the possible side effects, but if you run out of options, you can still try things to see if you can take them without ill effect.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

fuz_mind wrote:hopefully i get more replies!

i had a bad reaction to a low dose of gabapetin so that's out for me; my neuro initially suggested amitryline which I declined because it might make the rls worse; he then suggested beta blocker (which will make me more tired as a side effect!) ...... so I'm stucked.......

Fuz, what happened with the Propranolol? I was reviewing some of these topics and noticed that you were prescribed Propranolol, it is known to sometimes worsen RLS, what happened when you took it?
Blessings,
Holland

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

Fuz, what happened with the Propranolol? I was reviewing some of these topics and noticed that you were prescribed Propranolol, it is known to sometimes worsen RLS, what happened when you took it?[/quote]

hi! thanks for the concern :) i decided agst it so I'm not on anything for the migraines. roughing it out!