RLS symptoms and Opioid withdrawal

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Eternityroad

RLS symptoms and Opioid withdrawal

Post by Eternityroad »

Hi everyone,
I have been managing my RLS for many years with a standard 7.5-325 lortab. I am considering trying CBD marijuana as an alternative to the lortab. (pot is legal in my state) My concern now is that someone told me that opioid withdrawal includes symptoms like RLS. Even when I am a bit late on taking the dose of lortab I notice squirming and restlessness. Don't know if it is low level of lortab or the RLS. Or both! Do syptoms of opioid mimic RLS? If I took the pot and still experienced symptoms then how would I know if it was the RLS or lortab withdrawal?

Ken

And thanx for replies!

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS symptoms and Opioid withdrawal

Post by ViewsAskew »

They do mimic RLS. At least for me! I had symptoms in my arms that felt more achy and painful than the RLS I normally get. It was less creepy-crawly. When I would use kratom, it would remove the withdrawal for awhile so that I would only have to treat the RLS.

Meds are working and my brain is not...hope this makes some sense...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Thanks for reply. i am putting this into my store of info as I try to the medical marijuana route. Hadn't heard of kratom. Will look into that, also.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Eternityroad, if you read through some of the posts in the very long thread on medical marijuana you will find that most of us do not find much help with our RLS with CBD. Personally, it only helps me when my RLS causes anxiety. I have found that edible THC helps as a sleep aid but that it doesn't do much to relieve the urge-to-move symptoms of RLS. I therefore continue to use a low dose of methadone to manage the movement issues and occasionally use the edible THC to help overcome the insomnia side of RLS.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Eternityroad wrote:Hi everyone,
I have been managing my RLS for many years with a standard 7.5-325 lortab. I am considering trying CBD marijuana as an alternative to the lortab. (pot is legal in my state) My concern now is that someone told me that opioid withdrawal includes symptoms like RLS. Even when I am a bit late on taking the dose of lortab I notice squirming and restlessness. Don't know if it is low level of lortab or the RLS. Or both

Ken,
A couple of points..
First, why do you want to get off the Lortab? Sounds like it is working well. If you have a doctor willing to keep giving it to you and you stop it, you may have a very hard time finding a doctor that is willing to give it to you again, including your current doctor. Other than tolerance and addiction, Lortab is very safe at the dose you are taking.

Second, from your description it is very unlikely that any type of marijuana or marijuana derivative is going to be able to control your restless legs syndrome satisfactorily. Might help sleep problems if you have them, however the urge to move is not likely to be helped much.

Thirdly, narcotic withdrawal has a very strong component of restless legs, regardless of whether the user has had a history of restless legs in the past. If you notice on TV, when they have an addict that is going through withdrawal, they very commonly show them pacing the room or cell.

I agree with Ann, if you want to get off Lortab onto non-prescription medication you have a much better chance with kratom than with marijuana.
Blessings,
Holland

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

The main reason I wsnted to get off lortab is that is causes constipation. Also with things getting tougher w/r opiods the day may come when my doctor will no longer prescribe lortab for me. He is a new doctor for me and was very reluctsnt last winter to continue my prescription. I have a post on this board that addresses the the way he treated me.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

I confess to only reading a couple of the posts in the medical marijuana forum, but the very first post definitely made me consider, I repeat, consider this route. As marijuana is now legal in Nevada I figured I might give it a try. I also take zolpidem for sleep difficulties. As someone mentioned it may help with the sleep difficulties.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Sounds like reasonable reasons for getting off the lortab. And yes, marijuana does help lots of folks with sleeping.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ken - one option might be to change how you take your meds so that IF you have to completely stop the opioid you will know your options. I have the same concerns, so I decided to see what else I could take as well as stop my opioid regularly so that I wouldn't go through withdrawal again. I had the infusions first - and I know they do not work for everyone, nor can everyone get them. Then I slowly increased the times I took pramipexole - 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. until I knew I was safe for 2 months and did not augment. Then I took 6-8 weeks off the opioid and used pramipexole and kratom. I was no longer dependent on it then. I used MM and kratom to see how they helped during this time, too. Now, I have the best combo I have ever had. I use the opioid and pramipexole together part of the time (this gives me the best coverage of all symptoms and the fewest side effects). Then I go off of one for two weeks, then off the other for two weeks. When I use only pramipexole, I use the kratom to keep me asleep longer and prevent frequent awakenings and use the MM with the methadone to make me fall asleep and prevent that hyper alerting effect.

This likely seems crazy to many. But, it prevents tolerance, limits the worst of the side effects, and ensures that IF anything happens to my opioid supply, I have an alternative that I can instantly rely on and know what the likely outcome is.

Of course, all of this also took a lot of work on my part AND a doctor who was willing to work with me and trusted me to make good decisions! And, I realize not all of us have access to such a doc or a schedule where we could do what I did.

per the constipation - for me a good diet and regular exercise is part of it, but not enough. I tried stool softeners - that helped, but again, was not enough. I am dairy intolerance, so I would drink milk - that was helpful, but unpredictable. What helps me more than anything is magnesium citrate (not one with calcium in it). 500 mg every other day guaranteed to work on lower doses of methadone...and when on higher doses, 1000 daily mg is. Doesn't work for everyone, but if you have not tried it, it is inexpensive and could be helpful. One form

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

The main reason I wsnted to get off lortab is that is causes constipation.

Tramadol ER also causes constipation and keeping it under control is a battle for me. I drink about two liters of fluid (with one liter of water) most days, eat two kiwifruit (one before breakfast), add a teaspoon of psyllium husks to my breakfast cereal and eat a half cup of cooked beans (black, pinto etc) when I can (meaning when I feel like it, but they do help). I also eat a mostly plant-base diet. Once a week I'll have a cup of a laxative tea with senna. It's a drug so it's best not to overdo it. If really in trouble I'll take a tablet to help.
I also exercise a fair bit.
It takes a lot of work but I feel it's worth it to avoid more drugs.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Thanks everyone for this most useful information. I will pop back in with related issues as the need arises. :wink:

badnights

Post by badnights »

I understand the desire to not be dependent on an opioid supply that might fail you at some point. And Ann has suggested some ways that you can at least find out what some alternatives might be. But you are on a fairly low dose of a fairly mild opioid, and the way I interpret your situation, it's your doctor who has a problem, not you. If anything, you should take straight hydrocodone, not lortab, because the added acetominophen has no effect on WED/RLS.

I don't know if I was lucky or what, but I have managed the constipation by eating loads of vegetables. I rarely think about it these days. If I let my veggie consumption go too low, I might feel things begin to slow down, in which case I take a couple tablespoons of lactulose (prescription) and ramp up the veggies again, and by next day everything is good. I don't know if I'm built lucky that way, or if it should be possible for anyone if they eat enough vegetables. I used to eat 9 cups a day, then 6, but nowadays it's probably more like 4. Still a lot if you're not used to it. I eat salads, and sauteed vegetables with spices and stuff to make it interesting.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Thanks. I shutter to think what I might incur if I even approach my doctor with changing over to straight hydrocodone. As for veggies I probably eat more of them than most persons. Two servings each supper. I could up it and I have wanting to add spinach to my regular diet anyway. Thanks for you help.

ken

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Eternityroad wrote:Thanks. I shutter to think what I might incur if I even approach my doctor with changing over to straight hydrocodone. As for veggies I probably eat more of them than most persons. Two servings each supper. I could up it and I have wanting to add spinach to my regular diet anyway. Thanks for you help.

ken

Oats are quite helpful; it also allows you to add more just the fiber from veggies. Some fruits, too, such as pears, are high in fiber. Beans or pulses, too.

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Nothing to do with RLS but one Irish family thinks oats are the key to their longevity. The thirteen siblings have an average age of 82.6 and eat oatmeal porridge twice a day. Note to Americans: supper for the British and Irish means a small snack a few hours after dinner. This family didn't have to have oatmeal for their main meal.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... -porridge/