RLS with anxiety?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
doulajanice

RLS with anxiety?

Post by doulajanice »

I am new here. My question is - does anyone also suffer from anxiety and is already on meds for that and still has ALS?
I have been treated for Anxiety/panic attacks/depression for the past 16 years. But, not knowing what it was, I have had what I think is RLS but not in my legs, in my back.
My Dr. is not that great. I got my appointment changed and I am seeing her tomorrow. I don't expect to get much help from her.
I am going to also ask for a sleep study.
I have had 5 full nights sleep in a 1 1/2 months. All the others, I go to sleep and jerk awake in about 45 min. and then that is it until about dawn.
Thanks,
Janice

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

Hi, Sweety...Are you already on any meds? Many antidepressants can cause RLS or make it worse.. And yes, RLS can show up in other parts of the body besides the legs...(that's why the name is so misleading) Pat

ctravel12

rls with anxiety

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Janice and welcome to the board. We were chatting with you last night. I am so glad to see that you signed onto the discussion board. It is a wonderful board and very supportive.

Is there anyway you can change drs (preferably one that knows about rls) it is so important to educate yourself as much as possible about rls.

Go to the forum New To RLS and see the sticky post called "Managing RLS" as there is an excellent article from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. Please read it and if you are able to print it out, do so and bring it to either the dr you have now or to a new one. Another good site to read is www.rls.org

Janice where you live is there a support group you could go to? I am the support group leader here in Lake Havasu and it is wonderful. Am sure they can give you some good advise too.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Again welcome and so glad that you are on the discussion board. They have helped me so much and am very grateful for that.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

doulajanice

RLT and anxiety

Post by doulajanice »

Carlene,
Thank you for welcoming me and giving me more information. And thank you for the advise you gave me last night.
I will read those articles you are talking about.
Janice

ctravel12

rls with anxiety

Post by ctravel12 »

Janice you are more than welcome and hope that you join us on the chat line again.

If you ever just want to talk, vent or whatever, I am here for you.

What Pat said about the name of rls can be misleading is so true. I hope that you are feeling better each day.

Take care of yourself.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Neco

Post by Neco »

My doctor says I show signs of anxiety, but personally I don't get panic attacks or anything like that.. I have always been a little high strung though, and when someone pulls my strings it drives me nuts. Doing new things for the first time can drive me nuts too, especially if it is work related and I know it has to be done properly (they usually understand when I do something new though).