sleeping in pool works for me - anybody else?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Mark_Galeck

sleeping in pool works for me - anybody else?

Post by Mark_Galeck »

Hello, I have RLS and take Mirapex, which works most of the time, but sometimes I still can't sleep. I found that even if I have RLS lying down in my bed, I can sleep in the hottub - I put on a life jacket, so I can float, and stick my legs out on the deck, so they anchor me and I don't float around and bump into things. Curiously, in the pool like that, I never have RLS symptoms.

I thought I would post that, maybe this strange method would work and bring some relief to others.

But did anybody have the same experience? Do you have a guess as to why this would be so? I thought first that this might be the elevated legs, but, if I try the same positions, with legs up resting higher, in my bed, I still have RLS. Maybe it's the heat? Not sure... anybody knows what could be going on here???

Maybe some researcher is listening on here and could make a study?

Thank you.

Mark

Mark_Galeck

Post by Mark_Galeck »

Oh, and I know that relaxing muscles and general relaxation, can help with RLS, so this could be the reason why hot tub works, but I don't think so -

because, I am already a pretty relaxed person, I teach yoga, so I know how to relax when I go to bed, I relax my muscles very well, in fact this seems to make RLS worse if anything. And the hot tub is rather hot and not really relaxing for me, much less than my own bed. Yet the hot tub works for RLS!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, Mark.

Awhile back a guy posted that his hot tub really helped him. I think it's in the non-pharma section.

Heat does help a LOT of people. It's so cool that you can sleep like that! I think a lot of us will be envious and want a hot tub on our decks!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Yeah, when I was really miserable about 18 months back, I used our hot tub several times for a brief respite. It stops working a little while after you get out, but it's nice while it lasts.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Mark_Galeck

Post by Mark_Galeck »

Hmm,, OK heat helps I see, where is the heat supposed to go? My legs are out in the cold when I am in the tub. To your head? (It's a brain disorder after all)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not a clue, Mark. Not a clue, lol.

Many people here take hot (or cold) baths or showers. More find hot helpful, but some prefer cold.

Maybe it's a position you are in, maybe it's the air temperature, maybe it's...who knows! They just don't know enough about it at all. They do know that it's highly susceptible to thoughts...people often think they "found it!" (meaning their cure) A few days, weeks, or even months later, the RLS is back. No one has figured out why that happens either.

It really IS all in our heads, lol!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

zookeeper

Post by zookeeper »

I wonder if it's the difference in the heat of the body as opposed the temp of our legs/feet? I know I can't sleep if my feet are hot...the RLS hits right away. Right now I sleep with a fan aimed directly at my feet and the AC set at about 68. I fold the bed covers back at the foot of the bed. Now if I could really convince the cats that I don't need them as foot warmers...lol!

Neco

Post by Neco »

I think it has something more to do with being in the water and the physical effect it has on your body (what that is, I don't know) more than temperature.

I also get practically 100% relief from soaking in a warm bath.. I tend to have tried it with epsom salt, so I don't know if that was a contributing factor. But clearly we have a lot of people saying being in the water to any degree seems to help..

Shot in the dark here, but I am wondering if anyone here owns a waterbed. If not it would be interesting to see what the results would be. The only thing I can think of from being in the water is that preassure somewhere is possibly being relieved, or some other mechanism is being tripped due to the change in environment.

I know when I get back out I am miserable after a while again too.. Thank god for methadone

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

One thing to note is that current research seems to think RLS is located in the spine and its periphery. The reflex handling bits by the spine seem to be affected in RLS sufferers, though what this means is unclear (my theory is there's crosstalk between the reflex system and the regular system).

It may be that what you're really warming is your mid and lower back. Electric signals travel better at cooler temperatures, so maybe you're slightly inhibiting nerve traffic to and from the spine by bringing temperatures up a little.

Or maybe I'm talking out of my posterior. :)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.