Sugar and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
davisri

Sugar and RLS

Post by davisri »

I have had RLS resulting from a spinal cord injury some 15 yr's ago. It took me many years to realize that sugar intake has a significant affect on increasing rls symptoms, especially when ingested close to bedtime. You may want to try eleiminating sugar (which is easier said then done) for a day or 2 to see if this has a positive effect. Has anyone realized this cause-effect relationship?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It definitely appears to be a factor for some people, but not all. It never has changed my RLS, unfortunately.

There is a good link somewhere in the archive posts about why this might be a problem for some people. If you search on hypoglycemia, you'll find it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

Davisiri,

When I endured RLS for about ten years I was consistently affected by cooked chocolate pudding whenever eaten later than afternoon. There were some other sugary foods that also aggravated the symptoms but I do not recall what they were.
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.