Appalling article - LA Times

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Appalling article - LA Times

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm appalled at the article today in the LA Times. It talks about the new drug approval for EkD/RLS. But, it editorializes about whether it's really a condition or not.

I'm so annoyed I can't even write about it.

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostersh ... 6266.story
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Aaaaaggghh....

twitchiness they call it i.e. 'for those who believe their twitchiness is an illness' ...trivialising the disease again..........and the article also says......

'if it is a syndrome'.....
they obviously don't know it is now a 'disease'.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I know - I literally couldn't even write a comment because I didn't know where to begin...to me if was some of the worst journalism I've ever read.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Disgusting...

Getting that urge to make a web site again....

sleepdancer

LATimes Article

Post by sleepdancer »

After I composed a terse comment to the article and tried to sign in to their site, I got a server error! ARGH! Maybe it gave me a chance to rethink my comment.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I am trying to decide whether or not it is important for me to respond to these type of articles. Sometimes it can cause the reporter/author to rethink their position and sometimes it just adds fuel to the fire. Sometimes I just get so mad that I probably couldn't write a coherent response anyway! What's the general consensus of others on this?
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

badnights

Post by badnights »

I think if you feel able and feel it's important, you should. I am overwhelmed and have to shut things like that out of my mind because I just can't deal with even one more little thing right now. But my old self (my pre-Ekbom self, to whom it wouldn't have mattered haha) would (if it had mattered to me then) have been all over it.

Arg.. I mean, if I was able to spend a bit of effort, I would write. I would address the points in the article one by one and provide references, and gently (I hope - but I usually end up being cutting) chide him for such shabby research. Hopefully he would respond and then I could make the point that portraying the disease wrongly can indirectly hurt us as inidivuals. Then he would write a retraction and somebody would figure out what's causing the disease and then they would fix it and we would all be happy.

uhng I need some sleep

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Please don't think I was asking anyone to respond unless they wanted to. I understand completly where you are right now. It just really ticks me off right now for some reason, more than normal. Bill Maher did a monologue recently that upset me some. I can't find a way to email him or the company but did find his facebook page and posted there. A man responded and said he has RLS but still found it funny. OK, to each his own. But then he proceeded to tell me that if anyone finds a person or situation to be funny or absurd, they have the RIGHT to make fun of it. That really got to me. How did we get to the point that people think they have the right to make fun of others?
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ruby, I really think our brains are wired differently - many people find these kinds of things funny. I never have - even as a child. Anybody's misery is still misery!

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

I didn't get the feeling that you expected other people to respond to the letter so please don't worry that you came across that way; you certainly didn't. I feel guily about not getting involved, so I rambled on about that for a while, trying to ease my guilt.

I am like you guys as far as the funny goes ... it's just not funny to make fun of grief, unless you're a cruel person, or perhaps an unimaginative person. I'd bet Buddy-who-thinks-it's-funny has mild RLS - IF he has any at all.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

People can be so cruel. Why would anyone make fun or joke about anyones pain or illness. Do they think they are going to escape ever having an illness, or some terrible disease or pain that makes their existence miserable. I don't think so.....I hate it when someone makes fun of another for any reason.

My favorite saying is "BE KINDER THAN NECESSARY, FOR EVERYONE YOU MEET IS FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE". Or what the Bible says,"DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE DONE TO YOU.'"

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand