Calf Fasciculations

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
xtremx

Calf Fasciculations

Post by xtremx »

Hi i seem to be suffering from constant calf fasciculations both calf's for the last 3-4 months (that i have noticed).
Could they be a symptom of rls as my legs always seem to be on the go and find it hard sometimes to settle in bed also the wife has to tell me off for always moving my legs.
And one more thing sometimes a few times a year lucky i get the feeling of an itch under the skin again the calf that can only be relieved by applying pressure via a tight bandage.

sleepdancer

Calf symptoms

Post by sleepdancer »

RLS can present in various ways. Much of what you describe is described by others with RLS. Can't speak to the twitching, but maybe someone else can. Have you been evaluated by a physician for a possible explanation? I think I'd want doctors to rule out circulatory or other nerve issues, or even medication side effect. Sometimes a diagnosis of RLS is a process of elimination.

I have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder which affects my legs during sleep. I've been using a TENS Unit with favorable results to keep my legs calm. Just wondering if this might be an option in your case if the sensations are troublesome. Wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor. Also ask about anything you might be able to do nutritionally to give your body its best chance to function optimally.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Hi Extremx,
Yup, I got those muscle wigglings. I have lots of other symptoms, too. But I recall one time I happened to see my RLS in action... they were bothering me like crazy one early evening, I was switching from my day socks to slippers, and I happened o look directly down at my calf, and I swear, it was like the FIBERS of muscles were dancing all around every which-a-way, there was a group to the side of the bone, the more fleshy part area but close to the skin, and about a half-dozen wigglings were going up, down, all diff rhythms. It was a sight to see. I think they do that without my noticing it, whenever the RLS kicks up and bothers me.

The way I describe my neuromuscular trouble in my legs is, it's like they want to seize up and release so badly, but instead they just kind of clench and pull and cannot stop, it's almost like it's twisting my bones out of shape it's so hard-tugging, and it hurts me... not everybody gets pain like I do. Anyhow, when I try to get relief, aside from walking around for a little while and stretching, I also push and dig at my calves, sort of like your bandage thing, and sometimes I use support hose that will compress the muscles, and bingo, it makes it stop long enough to sleep. But the sensation of tightening, it's like an epilepsy attack that wants to "go there," but never get there, never lets go of the neuron charge pulsing thru the muscle fibers. Really frustrating and nothing to do about it. I mean, we can see the firing of impulses, and the muscles responding, but not enough of a release for it to stop bothering us. It's not as painful as a cramped foot, for example, rather it's a deep, dull aching, that untreated really can drive you nuts.

This is where drugs play a significant part, because if you don't get medical attention, eventually this thing takes on a life of its own and gallops off like a crazy horse, your mind cannot think of anything else but how very uncomfortable your legs are, it can make a person frustrated. There are several categories of drugs they might try on you, ONCE a neurologist determines and diagnoses you with RLS. I take a mild opiate drug, others take some pretty strong opiates, but docs are reluctant to prescribe those, so some folks manage with other types of drugs.

As the above poster said, you could have numerous types of physical issues at work... sometimes just being low on iron or potassium will make you this way, other times it's a diabetic type issue (circulation), so that's why a neurologist is who you should see, to figure out how come you got this leg wiggling thing. But yes, you do sound like a typical RLS person, and a neuro can figure out if that is what you have.
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

xtremx

Post by xtremx »

Thanks dogeyed & sleepdancer,
Your replies they are very informative and I will be acting on the advice given.
Will make a appointment with my doctor in the next few weeks (just changed doctors) so they don't yet have my records.
I will read your replies over again as the information you have given me is interesting as in comes direct (forgive the phase) from the horses mouth.

Chris

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hi Chris
You might want to check out the RLS Foundation's medical bulletin at http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?&id=2112. It's very informative, and also lists the diagnostic criteria for RLS (new name is Ekbom disease but that's not reflected in the bulletin yet). You could highlight the points you feel are relevant to your situation, and give the bulletin to your doctor during your appointment, pointing out the relevant parts. A lot of doctors are receptive to this. God knows, they can't know everything about everything right off the bat. Good luck!
beth

bobkat49

Re: Calf Fasciculations

Post by bobkat49 »

HI ExtremX. I am new to the discussion board, and as recommended by a moderator, I found your post via a search for "fasciculations". I am wondering how you are doing, 1 1/2 years after your last post. I've had fasciculations for the past 5 months, and even though now controlled with Mirapex, I'm wondering whether it's RLS or a symptom of something else. I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Hello everyone, was reading the post about fasciculations (had to look it up in the dictionary) thought I knew what it meant. I have had one whole knee replacement and really need something done with the other knee but I am trying to do without surgery again. But I have the same "fasciculations" in the calve that needs the surgery. It bother me a lot. I have mentioned it to my GP and also my neurologist. Seems i get ignored a lot. No comments from them?
I have been checked for blood clots. Negative. It especially bothers me when I sit in my computer chair. I stand at the computer a lot. I am overweight and I feel that doctors look at me and think (dumb woman, if she would lose some weight she wouldn't have so many health problems) I agree, but losing weight at my age (76) is very hard. Anyway, I think I am going to have the injections in my knee to replace the fluid, its called Synvisc.

I haven't been on this site for a while, I used to check in almost every day. Now here I am, ranting on and on as usual. Wish you all a good day.

BETTY/WV :roll:
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I honestly don't know a thing about fasciculations and WED. It could be that they are related and we don't know it yet. It could be something unrelated. I've seen Dr B write that fasciculations are NOT related to WED (RLS).

A Google search pulled up several people linking them together, however.

Here is an eHeath report. Of over 10,000 people who report having WED, only 86 of them have fasciculations. That's less than 1 percent. Most likely, based on self-reporting evidence, they are not related.

I did find something called benign fasciculation syndrome. Could be that.

One other thought....my husband has fasiculations in his eyelid for over a year - drove him crazy. Turned out it was celiac disease. Since about 1/3 of untreated celiacs have WED, anyone with any neurological symptoms and WED might want to get a test, even if the WED is hereditary. Hubbie has hereditary WED, but it was worse when he had untreated celiac.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Betty/WV - you say you mentioned fasiculations to your doctor and your neurologist and they seem to just ignore it.
At the next opportunity what about asking a direct question i.e. not tagged on when talking about something else.
Just asking the direct question.... and then silence..... while you await a response.
And if necessary.... repeat it - saying that you'd like to discuss this particular concern and not just ignore it.
Just a thought. And of course you would be armed with your own information.

I hope the injections in your knee provide much needed relief.

You know never to be concerned about ranting...... we all need a rant..... some of us rant and rave at the same time :lol: :lol:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

Hey betty I have been thinking about you, So I'm gkad you posted. How's your husband and the driving going?