WED and general health

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Re: WED and general health

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hate dental procedures and I always medicate for WED and for anxiety before I go.

When I was in my early twenties, I had my impacted molars removed. They put me under and probably gave me an antihistamine (though I didn't know at the time to ask). My PLMs went crazy during the procedure and the doctor thought I was having a seizure. He woke me immediately from the sedation (I think it was Sodium Pentothal) and asked me if I had epilepsy. I groggily told him that I had this weird leg thing. I didn't even have a name for it. He put me back under and continued.

He called me at home the next two days in a row to make sure I was OK. Clearly, he'd never seen anything like it before and I had no idea that certain things could make it worse.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

badnights wrote:I rebel against attributing decline to age. I don't think physical decline is a necessary part of aging. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking :lol:

Beth - you are so right - I forgot myself !!

Now I must remember what a friend told me some time ago - as you get older - wear purple, wear socks that do not match, and splash in puddles
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
badnights wrote:I rebel against attributing decline to age. I don't think physical decline is a necessary part of aging. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking :lol:

Beth - you are so right - I forgot myself !!

Now I must remember what a friend told me some time ago - as you get older - wear purple, wear socks that do not match, and splash in puddles

Absolutely thirded! :lol:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

:lol: people think I'm crazy enough but I do like the idea of socks that don't match - I already splash in puddles and wear purple (purple is IN now, so that's no biggie)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

During last winter's awful snows we were taken by surprise and the shops sold out of wellington boots. I had wanted to get funky ones, polka dots etc. etc. It was impossible and I was lucky to even find a pair of dark blue ordinary wellies. So I used long woollen socks for wellies that folded out over the top of the boots and stitched bright coloured ribbon bows onto the out-turned sock cuff. It was obvious they were just ordinary wellies with bows on, but no matter, they were cheery and fun.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Happy and just crazy enough. I bet your granddaughter loved it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've had teeth problems long before the RLS started.

Starting in my teens, I always had cavities despite regular brushing and flossing. In my twenties, more cavities, a crown or two, my thirties, root canals, more crowns, an extraction. and in my forties (I'm 47) now I have had two implants on which sits a bridge for three teeth and fairly recently another root canal and a traditional bridge that replaced a tooth extracted 15 years prior. Some of those teeth were accompanied with throbbing pain while waiting for my root canal appointment. At those times, I was never so glad to have a needle jammed into my gums and shot with Novocain as then.

My dentist(s) tells me that good or bad teeth are largely hereditary, unless you don't take care of them at all. In my family this certainly seems to be true. Both my parents had false teeth by their early thirties, both my grandmothers had false teeth also. My sister is having similar problems in that she has had multiple cavities and crowns, but no bridges yet. One of her sons is already having teeth issues at 13, the other has none (takes after his father I suppose, lucky him).

All in all though I have spent more on my teeth in the past 20 years than health related problems.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I'm on my phone so I can't dig up a reference, but sone people's mouths are colonated with an especially aggressive form of bacteria, leading to more cavities and other dental issues. Xylitol can help but not cure it.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.