Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
EeFall

Re: Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

Post by EeFall »

EeFall wrote:Thank you all. I'm tearing up. I am leaving for the hospital in about any hour, wife driving. I'm starving, no food since midnight. Down 37 pounds, I wish i could say it was all the Paleo diet but it has to be what I'm going for today also. Later :)

Actually I just weighed and I'm down 39 pounds and we are leaving in one more hour.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

A-Okay! They said while the main duct of the pancreas is a little enlarged there is no tumor! I guess the first batch of doctors misread the CAT scan, either that or it is better after 6 weeks. Actually though I still have the same symptoms so while it is fantastic news not to have a tumor, or even worse cancer, they have to start over to find out what exactly is wrong with my gut. So I am really happy, yet I am also disappointed that they have absolutely no clue what is wrong.

Since I stayed home today I slept in for almost 11 hours! I can't remember sleeping that long for ages. Tonight we will be up late as we just got home at about 8:30 pm from hospital and we just had a bite to eat as I hadn't eaten since 6 pm yesterday for this procedure.

By the way, they put the equipment down the throat and into the stomach, then they do an ultrasound of the pancreas from the stomach. If they would have had to do a biopsy they would have cut a small hole in the stomach to get to the pancreas, but they didn't because there was no reason to do so. It also has a regular camera and I guess they looked around and said everything else looked good down the throat and the stomach.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, good news! So glad they didn't have to do the biopsy.

Hope they figure it out soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It's great to have good news.
I do know what you mean.... IWe hope to have a diagnosis for a problem, but please let it be minor, and something easily treatable.

In the meantime the blessing is - no tumour.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yeah !!! I hope they send you to a gastroenterologist (GI) doc. Hopefully they will find out what is wrong soon.
I was just thinking.... I can't remember, are you diabetic ? The pancreas controls your sugars. Just a thought.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:Yeah !!! I hope they send you to a gastroenterologist (GI) doc. Hopefully they will find out what is wrong soon.
I was just thinking.... I can't remember, are you diabetic ? The pancreas controls your sugars. Just a thought.

My wife has an idea that has to do with our diet and here is one link:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/08/modi ... rance.html

I think this may be the cause! No doctor required :D I am so sick of doctors and hospitals. I don't have diabetes but at one point they thought I did, this could also be related to FOODMAP-Intolerance as mentioned in the link. I started the diet in early August so I can see where it could have taken time to get to me. My wife is going to alter my diet and see what happens.

Thanks all for your messages, it will be a very merry Christmas for us!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Definitely worth a try!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Last night we watched the second half of the Hobbit on our TV and then we realized if we took off in 5 minutes we would make it to the movie theater in time to see the final. We made it just in time! That was fun. We didn't make it to bed until 9:30 pm and I woke 9 hours later (9 hours is crazy good sleep for me). My wife is still asleep :lol: So the Suboxone is still super!

It was funny when I went for the procedure. I called them once more asking if I could take Suboxone that afternoon. They said yes. I found the answer curious. While they were getting me ready putting in an IV (which took 3 times to get it in, including getting a special staff that just does that) I told them I wasn't satisfied with the answer and wanted to be sure it was okay, I did not take it at home. They went and asked a doctor and they said I could take it. This was a couple of hours past the time I should have. My wife and I hurriedly opened the flat sheets of medicine and I put them under my tongue. Someone else came in, the anesthesiologist, she said you haven't taken it yet? I said I just placed it under my tongue. She said, "Take it out!". The nurses gave me tissue and I scraped it off the underside of my tongue. Probably an 8th of it got into my system but they still went on with the procedure. She said it is the naloxone that is in the Suboxone (to prevent addicts shooting it) that prevents the pain meds from working. They kept asking the doctor who performed the procedure rather than the anesthesiologist who knew why not to give it to me. :roll:

We are trying to adjust my diet but not helping much yet.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's so hard to figure out diet stuff....I've tried SO many times. I did figure out some things, but not everything.

Glad the anesthesiologist finally got involved!

Managing Your RLS

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Of course you will decide that I am hopelessly pathetic but I'm going to tell you anyways in case someone else has not thought of this as I. I have been putting distilled water in my VPAP machine for the 3 or 4 years that I have had the machine. I clean the outside of machine and the hoses once in awhile, including with vinegar. I have never cleaned the mostly plastic humidifier though because I didn't notice that it could be taken apart until the other night. I looked at it and saw something like a streak of brown mold in the chamber. I then figured out rather quickly how to take it apart and clean it. The whole inside of chamber had mostly an invisible sheen of mold in it, and the one part that had something actually growing that I had seen. Yuck! No one had actually told me to clean it and never saw instructions about it.

I am breathing better at night now to say the least. I feel like a total idiot, it may even have to do with the digestive problems I have been having.

Moral of story, if you have a CPAP or VPAP machine and use a humidifier clean it regularly!

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Wonderful story.

I have always assumed that most engineers (like me) usually don't bother to read the instructions simply because we naturally "see" how everything works ... most of the time. :lol: :lol:
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My husband, also an engineer, never reads directions. And I LOVE it when he's wrong!

So glad you found the mold and were able to clean it. How icky!!!!!

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Glad the procedure went well. It's always the anesthesiaologist you ask about drugs before stuff. I understand about figuring out what to eat. It isn't always easy.

badnights

Post by badnights »

My father and two siblings use a CPAP. I had to pass your story on to them, eefall.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

No nuts and cleaning VPAP have mostly put me back to normal. I do find that I become depressed, probably from the Suboxone, and then I take about 14 grams of Kratom which quickly makes me normal for a week or so. I am 100% dependent on drugs to be normal. I am glad of it, rather than sad as I know how it is to not have them with severe WED. I hope everyone is doing well!