Exercise = walking

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Heffalumps in the night

Exercise = walking

Post by Heffalumps in the night »

HI Guys,
I have another question for you. I have the kind of rls that comes and goes. It came for the pregnancies. It left after each child was born. If I slip up and have a sip of soda with caffeine, I so won't be sleeping that night. And if I try to exercise, I have rls. Since the kids have come along, aerobic excercise has been rare; they just won't allow it. And I felt ready to pull out my hair from stress. So, I finally arranged time with my husband for him to watch the kids so that I can exercise. And like every other time in my life since rls appeared, I have restless legs the nights of days that I have excercised. I am always careful to have stretched well after the work out. I am not overdoing it. I am pretty lazy overall, there is no way that I will overdo it. The time of day seems to make no difference. I can't figure out a good aerobic exercise (that I can do solo, thank you), that wouldn't involve my legs (I just can't do a handstand, so I can't imagine running on my hands at this point). I [/i]need to exercise or I am grumpy. Plus, I won't be too healthy if I don't get some regular aerobic exercise into my lifestyle. Does anyone have similar issues with excercise and how do you or do you overcome them?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, count me in. When my RLS was intermittant, EVERY time I would do activity I wasn't used to, I'd have an RLS attack. BUT, if I could deal with it, in about 2 weeks it would slowly decrease over the 3rd week until it would go away completely unless I had some other goof-up. If I slowly decreased the amount, as soon as I'd start the higher level it would start again.

When my RLS notched up, I did find that regular activity did keep it down. Like you, it doesn't matter to me what time of day I do it. It's more the consistency and getting used to it.

Ann

GaAudrey

Post by GaAudrey »

I have had rls for about 10 years now but it doesn't come and go - it's every night. :cry: Over the years it's gotten worse - starting earlier in the day and more intense. Recently I started taking water exercise classes and I haven't noticed the leg symptoms worsening at all. They haven't gotten any better either! :? But I'm able to get some exercise now that I couldn't do before because of my weight. I'm wondering if my weight has anything to do with the rls. If I lose weight will the rls get better!?!? :D I doubt it, but it's another insentive to lose! :?

Take care,
Audrey

becat

Hi Girls

Post by becat »

Hi Girls,
Hmmmm I hate that word excercise. I always have to spell check it and it is hard to use as a verb in my life.......LOL
Ok, seriously....I have been walking with hubby this summer, his rehab after open heart. I'm up to a mile and half every night. It's a steady pace, but not all that fast. Nights that hubby is out of town, often now he's back to work.....I power walk with the dog the same route.
I've trimmed down and lost weight.....which could be the diet, not much on food when it's hot and humid or the walking. Maybe both. Thanking God I did not throw out my old clothes. :shock:
Yes, I've had my share of stress this summer.....Heff, I think life insures stress, brings change. No I don't like it either, but getting use to it.
My RLS is every day, 24/7 and it hurts. Having put ya'll through that .....
I like the walking, but there is a line I have to tow with it. There is too much and that just hurts. Plus I'll pay for it the next day. The power walks are no good for me. Regular pace is fine and it helps......that's just me.
The weight doesn't seem to make a difference for me. I've heard that many doctors tell people to drop the weight. My hubby calls that the "fat bas%*d syndrome". No matter how healthy you are, they see a big person and assume that weight is your health problem. Many studies prove that without healthy, resting, your not going to drop the pounds in a good way. So, if your not sleeping, your not going to get small in a healthy way.
I'm hurting now all the time, Have for over 10 yrs now. Just have the means to deal with it better through pain medication. I never take enough to be doopy, just take the edge off so I can function. I like the walks I take at night. Maybe I'm just Thankful to have the energy and "better" legs to do it.
Hugs to all.

umpwidow

Post by umpwidow »

Hi Heff,

Your complaint sounds like mine to my doc for the last year. When we finally began to suspect that hypogylcemia was the culprit, my doc suggested drinking a protien shake 20 minutes before exercising and that has made a world of difference.

I also find that when I indulge in refined sugar, that my rls gets worse.

Also, if I give exercise about a week, the body adjusts to it in a good way. I sleep better, hurt less, and feel better over all. I do have to be careful not to overdo it.

Finally, I've found that if I eat like a diabetic and take chromium picolinate every day, that I can do just about anything.

Last week hubby and I took a 2 1/2 hour bike ride with a lot of hills. Pushed myself harder and farther without any RLS backlash than I have in over two years.

It's hard to stay disciplined with the diet, but it has been worth it for me.

Hoping you find your answers.

Jamie