Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
EeFall

Re: Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:My guess is there is a lock out on the pump - you can only get so much at one time. At least the only time I had one it worked that way. I remember the nurse telling me to hit it all I wanted - it it was there, I'd get it, if I was locked out, I wouldn't.

When my wife got to hospital they thought person who said to bring oxy bottle in for trade was way out of line and told my wife to keep oxy since we paid for it lol. The stuff in pump is for the shoulder do not know what it is but they said I could push button every 1/2 hour if I wanted to. I am taking 4mg of hydromorphone now but it is not stopping RLS either I have been pacing since 10pm tonight :( can't win.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Two 20 minute naps last night spent the rest of time pacing and dancing to hard rock lol maybe another few hours of pump meds left but off Suboxone for 3 days at 4:30pm tonight maybe hydromorphone will be able to work.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

When they set up those pumps, they put in dose, and time, just like you thought. I didn't have a pump. I just had the block. Maybe you can sleep during the day a little bit. Well, each day that goes by, it will get better. It just doesn't seem like it while you're going through it.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:When they set up those pumps, they put in dose, and time, just like you thought. I didn't have a pump. I just had the block. Maybe you can sleep during the day a little bit. Well, each day that goes by, it will get better. It just doesn't seem like it while you're going through it.

I did just have an hour nap and very happy I got it. Anesthesiologist called today and he said the pump numbers mean I have enough until about 8pm and then about 11pm it will be out of my system tonight. So it will be over 3 days by then that I took Suboxone and they are hoping the Suboxone will not then interfere with the hydromorphone. So it looks like they had a pretty good plan I just hope it works. Also looking forward to getting all these contraptions off me and taking a shower and shaving.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Let's hope the plan works well..... :thumbup:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:When they set up those pumps, they put in dose, and time, just like you thought. I didn't have a pump. I just had the block. Maybe you can sleep during the day a little bit. Well, each day that goes by, it will get better. It just doesn't seem like it while you're going through it.

Isn't that the truth! I had a bowel resection 15 or so years ago. I swear I thought I would never be able to sit up, use the restroom by myself, pick anything up, etc. Then one day it was all behind me. It almost is as if you can't see it happening.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

So the pain begins and it is not playing nice, it will be a long night.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can only imagine. I hope the opioids start taking effect sooner than later - and I'm sure wish it much more than i!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:I can only imagine. I hope the opioids start taking effect sooner than later - and I'm sure wish it much more than i!

I have been alternating ice on shoulder on then off every 20 minutes for a few days and it has helped much. Still the last few hours feel like I have 3 holes in shoulder because I do :lol: arm nerves coming back too which is an odd pain. Not near as bad as it would have been had I not stopped Suboxone and the plan seems to be working except for more pain now and a few hours sleep the past 2 days and I doubt any sleep tonight. Half the time I am pacing or dancing :roll: but nothing I have not gone through a thousand times before. I doubt now that the pain will get worse.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We are with you on this, we don't feel your actual pain but wish you easement day by day.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:We are with you on this, we don't feel your actual pain but wish you easement day by day.

Thank you. I am doing so much better it is amazing. I go to physical therapy today I hope they go easy.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I decided this evening to continue with Suboxone and thought it would be easy enough to just take my 4mg dose as usual. This is what the anesthesiologist said I should do, when the pain goes down to start taking Suboxone again. So I took the gabapentin (which I had not stopped) and the Suboxone this evening and thought about the amazing sleep I would have after not sleeping much since Friday evening. To bad it didn't work.

While my wife read in bed I said goodnight and drifted off to sleep for about 2 minutes and then my RLS symptoms came back and I could not sleep or lay down. After thinking about it I know the 1/2 life of Suboxone is long, something like 2 or 2 1/2 days. Taking one dose of Suboxone is probably not what I really need, I probably need it to build up in my system for a few days until I have enough to do the job. I do feel really good though even though it is past 1am and I doubt I will sleep tonight at all.

I think I can attribute it to having a dependence on Suboxone (but I am just guessing). Probably a pretty good guess because I feel really good, too good under the present circumstances of very little sleep for days and a shoulder with stitches covering 3 incisions from surgery and another incision where they hooked up the pump to my nerve in neck. I cannot raise my arm very high or it hurts, also can't move it outward much either yet. But I feel great! :lol: The only thing I can think of is my body got its Suboxone back.

Sort of a scary realization that I am most likely dependent on buprenorphine but the same thing happened with mirapex, methadone, Lyrica, and a few other meds too over the years. One of the difficult aspects of living with severe RLS, meds are going to get a grip of ones life sooner or later. Its not like I am planning on ever stopping Suboxone, I hope I can use it until there is a cure or I'm pushing up daisies at a body park. I hope the buprenorphine works tomorrow and I will sleep. Sleep, something that most people take for granted - I wish I could live like that too.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I slept an hour between 3:30am and 4:30am which is better than nothing. Hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight or this would be 5 evenings with little sleep. I would think the body would like sleep when it is trying to heal. I am worn out. I did my exercises today, probably will do some this evening too, then I see a physical therapist tomorrow also.

My wife is at doc right now she has gotten a bad case of bronchitis that hit one of our granddaughters and our daughter in-law. She sounds absolutely terrible, I made her make an appointment for today. She is the type that will be in denial until she wakes up in hospital. She needs to take care of herself as I can't even put on my dang socks by myself :lol: with the shoulder surgery.

I am still in disbelief over Robin Williams taking his own life. Tragic. Even as bad as it gets with severe RLS I just wouldn't be able to do that, I always think there is going to be a better day. Also the possibility of going from the frying pan and into the fire scares me sufficiently to avoid death at all cost.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, very sad about Robin Williams, the tears of a clown.
Betty

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

2 nights in a row of 7 hours sleep! That means I am taking Suboxone again but it also means the pain is a little worse than it would be but my shoulder is coming along very well :D