Neupro patch map

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Laura W

Neupro patch map

Post by Laura W »

I have had relief for 3 years using the Neupro patch.
I learned early on that applying to my core rather than arms etc. Worked while non core application was negligible.
My body temp runs low and I think this is the explanation.
Since rotation is not to apply patch in same place for 17 days I came up with a map of my front and numbered my "spots."
I never apply lotion or moisturizer or use soaps that are the same since it prevents the patch from adhering well and that is like a nightmare of concern -- "Am I getting the medicine or not ?!?!"
I make many copies of my map so as I go from spot 1 through to spot 27 I start over.
If I knew how to attach a picture of this simple map I would, it makes the choice of where should I put my patch each night effortless.
On another but similar line -- I wear a little "blanket" taped over top of patch, about 6" square. It keeps my skin temp steady, again for the purpose of assuring transdermal effectiveness on this cold body of mine!
My blankets are made from double layers of fuzzy fleece material. I use the 3M micropore 2" medical tape so my skin will remain healthy. I also applied a border of the same tape around the edges of my blankets so they easily let go of each day's tape and don't unravel.
Again, a picture is worth a thousand words but I am no geek with a computer and don't know how to attach a picture.

Rustsmith

Re: Neupro patch map

Post by Rustsmith »

I used the patch for 15 months, until I augmented on it. My experience was a bit different in that I found that it caused irritation at most spots on my torso but not on my arms and legs. I used a modification of the manufacturer's suggested application map where I simply deleted the spots on my stomach and the small of my back and replaced them with a couple of spots on my shoulders and thighs.

I found that the days when I applied it on my upper arm provided an interesting opportunity to educate my friends. When they would see the patch they asked if it was a stop-smoking patch, which gave me a great opening to briefly explain RLS. More than once I found that my friend recognized the symptoms but had a mild form of the condition.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Goldielocks

Post by Goldielocks »

I would really like to see your map. I've been on the patch about 3 months and find the rotation difficult. Partly because I find placing it below the chest is not as effective as above i.e. arms & back. I quickly run out of options. I tried placing it on the abdoman today and am suffering symptoms at an 8 or 9 level tonight. Horrible night.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

All that I can do is describe the spots that I remember (it was about 4 yrs ago). I had six spots on the front, side and back of each shoulder. I tried two spots on the side of my rib cage, just a little to toward the back, but had problems with the patch becoming uncomfortable and the skin also got irritated. This spot might be a bit of a problem for a woman. I had another six spots on my upper thighs, again front, side and back. This one had to be a bit precise to avoid underwear. I think that the final two may have been on the buttocks, a bit more toward the side than the back (only because I needed to see the spot). Again, these had to avoid seams for underwear, which could have rubbed the patch off.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Goldielocks

Post by Goldielocks »

Well here I am again tonight suffering with extreme RLS and sleepless. I tried again today placing my patch on my abdomen and finding it just does not work for me in any area belowe the chest. I have great success when placing it anywhere above the chest. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Neupro patch or have any explanation for this problem.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am thinking about what the picture on the Neupro materials looks like...don't they show only shoulders, upper arms, and thighs in the front? I don't think any part of the chest is shown as a possible spot. Could it be that it is not absorbed as well from there?

So sorry you are suffering tonight :-(.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Caitrin

Post by Caitrin »

I too find the Neupro patch works best above the chest including upper arms, shoulders and upper back. Unfortunately I needed to apply them to my thighs and waist areas both sides because I am spending the winter in southwest Florida and while playing golf and engaged in other outdoor activities the patches severely irritated my skin and has left marks in a few spots. The other concern with patch application to the latter areas was that they fell off without my knowing and I then needed to determine when to apply the next patch without receiving too much or little medication. Otherwise, the patch is working well for me and I am happy we are returning home to the northeast next week. This is the best medication for me for my severe RLS and although it is expensive my insurance covers a large percentage of the retail cost.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I switched to Neupro a few days ago from my off-on use of pramipexole. My doc has added a few meds re. hypothyroid and fibro and between the new meds and winter, the rhinitis is terrible. Pramipexole has ALWAYS caused swelling of my nasal passages - but now I cannot breathe at night.

I had mild symptoms last night when I moved the patch to my torso. No symptoms the night before when on my shoulder. Will be interesting to see if the same holds true for me as for several of you. I go to the back of my shoulder tonight, I think.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Bridgercan

Post by Bridgercan »

I’m a guy with some body hair, so I went with what seems simplest for my so-so memory and foggy brain: first week of the month, right shoulder; second week, left shoulder; third week, right of the navel, fourth week, left of the navel. After six months, I don’t notice any difference with locations; however, have to put on a new patch in the morning, always. If I forget and a new one goes on in the afternoon, I will have some mild symptoms that night.

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

I would like to see OPs map or anyone elses

I like the idea of additional "blankets" so as not to disturb the patch while moving around while attempting sleep .

Goldielocks

Post by Goldielocks »

I have been on the patch for 3 yrs applying the new patch each morning. I feel I might be starting to Augment as I'm having symptoms every evening and sometimes through the night and wonder if this could be managed better if the "new patch schedule" was moved from morning to the afternoon or evening. I'm uncertain how to make this change in the schedule without going for several hours without a patch. Any suggestions?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

The simplest way to adjust your schedule is to do it a little bit at a time. If you have been changing the patch at 8A each day, then change it at 9:30 or 10A tomorrow and then noon the next day, etc until you are changing it in the late afternoon.

But if you are having symptoms in the early evening right now, then you may well be augmenting and if so, then you need to switch to a non-dopamine med.
Steve

Goldielocks

Post by Goldielocks »

Thank you, Steve. I have an appointment with my Doc soon and will wait until then to make any changes. I have augmented on
Requip and Meripex in the past. Concerned what might be next for me. This disease is so frustrating.