Hyper Alertness

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Re: Hyper Alertness

Post by debbluebird »

Ok, sounds good. The day before yesterday I took first dose at 1 pm, bed, about 11 pm, second dose 2 or 3 am, only had mild symptoms during night. Was able to turn over and sleep. Yesterday I forgot and took first dose at 3 pm. Bed 11 pm. Second dose was at 3 am. Started having symptoms. Finally got up about 5 am took 1/8 tablet of sinamet and slept until 11 am.
Today again didn't get 1st dose until 3 pm. Will see what happens tonight.
By the way I have lost more weight. Down to 1998 weight. 5 pounds to go before I hit 200. Got rid of some clothes that are too big today.
Thanks

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You must be so thrilled about the weight!!!!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am. Thank you. I went through my closet and gave away a bag of clothes. It does help with my energy level too, unless I've had a bad night, of course.
I'm exercising more. In fact I have increased that too. Mostly strengthening exercises. I'm hoping it will help.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Polar Bear wrote:Wow !! His head flipped around to me like he'd just suffered whiplash.

Maybe some methadone would help the doctor's neck?

Some people need to spend a year in our shoes.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

leggo said....

Yes.... and then, just to be sneaky, the symptoms could go away for a short time and just when he/she starts to feel safe .... wham bam... gotcha !!
Hmmm - maybe that's mean of me.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:leggo said....

Yes.... and then, just to be sneaky, the symptoms could go away for a short time and just when he/she starts to feel safe .... wham bam... gotcha !!
Hmmm - maybe that's mean of me.

Not mean at all!!! You do not want it forever!

Everything I have read suggests that few people have the ability to understand or be motivated to see things differently unless they see things in a very personal way. Facts are not only pointless, but can actually move them farther away from understanding. So, a short time with this may be the best way to convince them.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I suppose it is like that with many diseases. People can't relate to things unless they have it, no matter how much you explain it to them. Some people do have more empathy for others, than some.
What drives me the most crazy is when they say, I can take a nap"later", to make up for missed sleep. I'm so sleep deprived, that a nap just isn't enough. Sometimes my leg allows a nap, but most of the time it does not.
Yesterday, my leg woke me up earlier than I would have liked. It's been doing that lately. So I'm getting 3 or 4 hours less than usual. I wanted to take a nap sooo bad a couple of hours after I had gotten up, but couldn't. Leg spasms were just too strong.
People don't see me when I'm in really bad shape. I stay home. So when I am out and about, with people I am usually up beat. They just don't know how tired I am all the time. I put on a happy face.
I only have the energy to do one thing a day, or a few small things each day. After that I'm sitting in my chair. Then are days when I do nothing all day.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Even simple plans get changed at short notice.

Last night I slept for 3.5 hours. Up this morning and breakfast ready for the grandchildren arriving at 7.30am. No problem, I'd go back to bed after they go to school. You think so ????

DH took the children to school and I headed for the shower, got dressed ..... and then felt it... twitchy twitchy. And so I am now standing at the computer typing this. All ideas of a nap have been kicked into touch. DH is going to a funeral today and if he is not back in time I will go pick up the dgc starting at 2pm.
I'll do a few chores now and hope to work off the symptoms, then if there's time I'll try a nap on the couch with the alarm set on my phone.

I also have a happy face :)
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have not slept well in days - I sleep, but fractured, then the urge to move awakens me and I am doomed - usually about 5-6 hours after going to sleep. Around 2 PM I was SO tired...I went to sleep...bliss....BAM - nasty sensations in my dream....it was 2:22.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Sorry Betty and Ann. I feel your pain. I will be up a lot tonight. It always seems to be 2 to 4 am. I was in the car today, so starting to have symptoms this evening. Oh well.
I have been riding my bike twice a day lately. Think it's time to get back on it. It helps my leg.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope they did not last long, Deb. I can hardly keep my eyes open but the meds are not at 100% yet, so have to keep moving for awhile longer...

Managing Your RLS

Ladyslider

Post by Ladyslider »

Joining this discussion forum has been a Godsend. I've learned so much from others that suffer the same things I suffer with pertaining to RLS. I also have been having problems with hyper alertness after taking 10mg of Oxycontin. My RLS symptoms resolve most of the time but I'm wide awake. As mentioned above I am just feeling normal when I should be going to sleep. Thanks for all the suggestions of taking the medication earlier in the evening or day and also before the symptoms get the best of me. (I'm bad at not taking the Oxycontin until the first sign of RLS, then it's harder to get it under control). I am going to start by backing up my dose 2-4 hours earlier in the evening and see if that doesn't help control the RLS more effectively and help with the issue of hyper alertness.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I started taking my methadone at 2 pm in the afternoon. My hyper alertness has gone away. I have to set an alarm to remind me to take it. A week or so ago, I missed the time. I was so wide awake that night, when before I was going to bed.
I have even had a couple of nights, going to bed around 9 or 10 and sleeping 11 hours, with one bathroom break. It was like my life before RLS. Now with that said, the last two nights, I've had to get up a couple of times, for an hour or two. Such as life, a bad period has started. So, instead of getting up at a "normal" time, like 8 or 9, I slept until noon today. I am tired now, so going to bed. Will see long long I get to stay. It's 9:30 pm.

Ladyslider

Post by Ladyslider »

I will need to set an alarm also to remind me to take my Oxycontin earlier in the evening. I hope by the time you read this you have had a good sleep. I wish I could retire. Holding down a job is so hard with this disorder. I hate sleeping half my day away on the weekends or on my one day a week off.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

There is no way I could have continued to work on the sleep I was getting.
Being retired means no clock watching during the night and not being worried about the alarm going off for work.

However, I just wonder if I've let it go a little too much the other way.

At present my sleep aid is amitriptyline, having tried just about everything else and gaining no benefit. Dr wanted me to try it as it would also help with my Fibromyalgia. Instructions are to take it about two hours before bedtime and so I take it around 9.30pm. Often I might nod off a little during a television programme, perhaps for a half hour, probably not as much as that. Get to bed and then I'm wide awake, read for a while and eventually get up again. These last few weeks I'm going to sleep around 5am. Sleep is fractured and I get up at perhaps 9, or 10, or whenever. This morning it was 11am. I was awake before this and up, but went back to bed tried to lie on and read. Soreness and stiffness sometimes get me out of bed. As does a neck-headache.

For goodness sake, I'm taking sleeping aids at 9.30pm and still awake at 5am.
When I get up for the day, be it 8.30, 10, or 11, I'm slow to start, have coffee, check on my emails, this discussion board etc etc. sometimes it's lunchtime before I make it to the shower, get respectable for the day.

At my next appointment I shall ask to try a sleeping-aid-cocktail as per badnights' regime.
Betty