Does altitude have anything to do with RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
RaeM

Does altitude have anything to do with RLS?

Post by RaeM »

I just returned from an 8 day trip to Colorado and Wyoming. We flew into Denver, rented a car, and drove around to various places. I was dreading the trip, expecting to have many episodes in the car and to my amazement, I had zero episodes the entire time. Is it possible that higher altitudes have a good effect on RLS? (I live in Pennsylvania.)

Polar Bear

Re: Does altitude have anything to do with RLS?

Post by Polar Bear »

I do believe that altitude has an effect on RLS Symptoms, however contrary to your experience my understanding is that the higher altitudes are more problematic.
One of our members in particular has mentioned the difficulty of living at a higher altitude and may be along in due course and able to comment.

You could also do a search for 'altitude' or 'high altitude' using the search box at the top right of the page, on the blue banner.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

No one knows for certain, but since one theory is that WED/RLS symptoms are brought on by insufficient oxygen to the muscles, the thinner air at higher altitudes might make it worse. However, there's very little evidence one way or another for that idea.

You might want to think of other possible causes of decreased symptoms. Did you change your diet - stop eating something you usually eat? Or eat more iron-rich foods? Did you stop taking a supplement or medication that might be a WED/RLS trigger? Were you under less stress, either physical or mental? Were you sleeping outside (away from irritants, pollutants)?

That last one is something I made up :) but I think it can help. Anything that reduces physiological stress (stress on body systems) has to reduce RLS/WED symptoms too. I'm allergic to dust mites and I think (but I might be kidding myself) that my symptoms are better when I sleep outside (eg. in a tent).
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I live at 8,200 in Colorado. Glad you enjoyed your self. I don't really know if altitude makes any difference. When I go to sea level I sometimes do better, mainly because of my sleep apnea is better at sea level.
Maybe you were well rested, no stress ?

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

I don't know, but I do know that ATTITUDE does! :lol:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist super-campy reply...my attempt at gallows humor!)

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

I’m visiting family in Leadville CO Altitude 10,200’My restless legs are ramped up! Hands, shoulders & legs. I’m under some stress as my cat back home escaped the house & fell into the river. It’s not been good. We leave fot home on Saturday and will go back fown to 2800’. Just wondering if stress & high altitude are contributing to the problem.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Yes and yes. Countries where lots of people live at higher altitudes have higher prevalence of RLS.
Blessings,
Holland

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

Thanks. We’re taking 3 days to travel back up to Idaho & we’ll be dropping in altitude every day. I’m hoping for relief.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Was this trip a vacation? And, looking back since you have had RLS, has this happened on a previous vacation?

Did you diet change at all? Were you exercising more than usual or getting extra sun? These are also factors to consider.

I’m really interested in unpacking this because my RLS completely alleviates when I go on vacation. It even spills over a bit to when I get back home. If you search thei internet, you will find several of other people reporting the same experience.

If that is the case, this could be another data point that, for some, RLS is a response to stress - part of the underlying problem being psychological. There is a good amount of science showing that emotional stress can real havoc on the body in many different ways; I don’t see why dopamine signaling couldn’t be one.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Stress definitely jacks up RLS/WED symptoms. I've seen it in my own life, and it's noted in the literature too.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.