Painful RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Yankiwi

Re: Painful RLS

Post by Yankiwi »

Every single time I wake up in the night (usually three times) my legs ache and I need to stay up for between a half hour and an hour. I take .25mg ropinerole in a split dose at 8 and 9pm, then 100mg (I think) slow release tramadol upon going to bed. I just accept that's the way it is. The chance of getting more or different drugs here in New Zealand is about nil, I'm lucky to have what I do and my GP is very understanding.

BB_CRNA

Post by BB_CRNA »

Just a helpful note. No one has ever got toxic on 10, 000 iu of vitamin D a day. Take magnesium because it is used by vitamin D.
Helpful websites. Vitamin D council. Also brucebennettblob.com grass roots health. Docs dont follow these sites unfortunately.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Magnesium only helps if you are low on magnesium. If your Mg levels are good, then it is a waste of time. As for vitamin D, this is something that is beneficial to many neurological conditions. I take it on the advice of a past neurologist and am also in the sun (at moderately high altitude) for several hours each day, yet still have severe RLS. I therefore cannot say that it has helped, but I continue taking it anyway.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

My previous, loved, GP moved but the new one is very promising. After describing a typical night where I have to devote about 10 hours to get 6 hours sleep (if I'm lucky) she has referred me to a pain clinic. When I said some people with severe rls take methadone, instead of saying "no way" she said "I don't see why not". Of course, it could take months to actually get the referral. My necessary time awake has increased to 1+ hours from a half hour to an hour.