Shopping for mattress

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
1962zebra

Shopping for mattress

Post by 1962zebra »

Hi. My partner and I are switching to a King bed from a Queen, hoping my severe RLS won't bother her so much in the bigger bed. We are shopping for a mattress - which can be a daunting task. Have any members found that a certain type of mattress is better than others for not passing on vibrations to your partner?

Polar Bear

Re: Shopping for mattress

Post by Polar Bear »

We got a memory foam mattress. It was very good but just a little firmer than I liked and so we added a softer 3" memory foam topper. Perfect.

Just one thing...... If I'd to do it again I'd get single beds and push them together. That would help further with vibrations and, I think, be the best of all options. Still close together like one bed but separate mattresses.
There would even be the choice to make a 1" space between the beds.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There seem to be two primary options.

1. As Polar Bear mentioned, memory foam. We bought it in 2005 when I was in an augmentation nightmare. Worked very well.

2. Split twins that make a king size bed. You each have your own mattress that way. Many stores sell them with the bed supports that move the mattress into variable positions. This works exceptionally well because your mattress isn't her mattress, etc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

We have a split king with the adjustable support. The adjustment has been great. It allows you to increase the height of your head without having to pile multiple pillows on top of each other. It has also provided the unexpected benefit of allowing my wife to increase the height of her foot following foot surgery last month.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.