RLS & Dental Surgery

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
2BassetMom

RLS & Dental Surgery

Post by 2BassetMom »

I'm having dental surgery tomorrow. It's an extraction of three teeth plus impressions for the temporary bridge and a filling. This will all take at least 2 hours and you can guess my concern. Yes, rls striking while I'm in the chair. My dentist and her staff are wonderful about accommodating me with other health issues I have so I know they will be helpful with this. I'm timing my oxycodone to be at the maximum benefit during the surgery and I also thought of bringing along my heating pad in case my legs do get jumpy. Also, I'm just a little concerned that bleeding will be an issue although I have been assured it won't. I am on Pradaxa for a-fib. Usually I go off for a few days before any risky procedures but the dentist says that the teeth are single root and she is of the opinion that bleeding won't be an issue. I'm not fearful, they are sooo kind and skilled, but would appreciated your thoughts and prayers for all to go well and for my rls not to kick in,(pun intended :lol: ) Thanks!

Polar Bear

Re: RLS & Dental Surgery

Post by Polar Bear »

I have actually had full blown rls while in the dentist chair and it was a nightmare. The removal of a fractured root that just crumbled wasn't the problem, it was my legs. Dentist working at one end and my legs waving about at the other end with me saying, just ignore this it's ok.
Nowadays I make sure that I am super-medicated, meds to kick in at the optimum time with an extra cocodamol thrown in for good measure.

My own experience has been that bleeding isn't a big deal. I've never had 3 removed at once but even at 3 x blood loss of my one removal it would still be negligible. A gauze pad in place for a minute or too. Howevr, this has been only my experience. And your medications and mine will be varied.

I wish you well, hope your rls is well controlled .
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sending positive thoughts your way!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

I came through the 2 hour procedure without a single hint of rls. YAY! I took my oxycodone at the right time so that it would be the most effective during the extractions. The dentist said the bleeding was not too much more than if I hadn't been on Pradaxa. They had a temporary ready to go in over the extraction sight that with foam gel acted as a Band-Aid. The only discomfort I have today is at the injection sights. I had numerous injections! Before my appointment I made cinnamon rolls to bring over. I was actually able to eat one this morning by cutting it in small pieces and dipping them in butter. Decadence! RLS has been calm the last 24 hours with just minor episodes so I got much needed rest. Thanks for all the positive thoughts.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mmmm, cinnamon rolls in butter!!!!

Glad it worked out.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.