Evaluating my cognition over time.

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
stjohnh

Evaluating my cognition over time.

Post by stjohnh »

I play Solitaire on my phone or tablet frequently as a way of distraction (usually standing up LOL). The solitaire app I use is by Brainium. It collects cumulative usage statistics. By checking the percentage of games won, I can get an idea of how well my thinking is doing. I noticed that throughout 2016 mostly I ran around 43 - 45%. For the last 6 months I run around 48%. This does seem to correlate with my impression that I am a little less tired than previously and I am a little less grumpy than previously.

I have had no medication changes in approximately the last 2 years.

Since I play Solitaire regularly in any case, this seems a simple way to give a number to how well I am thinking. Does anyone else do something like that to indicate how well their thinking is doing?
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Re: Evaluating my cognition over time.

Post by ViewsAskew »

Great news! And a good idea of how to use tech to keep track of this.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I also play the Brainium Solitaire (for the past few months) as it's a quick game and easy to do while walking.
However, I only try to beat my own score and haven't gone beyond that to look at statistics.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I don't do anything quantitative, but I do remember in the first years after the disease went nuts in me, I was trying to finish my Masters thesis (I went back to school in my 40s), and I always expected to be able to do a task in the same amount of time it would have taken me when I was healthy. The amount of time I actually took was consistently about 5 times longer. One day became 5. 1 hour became 5. It took me many years to lower my expectations appropriately.

But that was largely due to sleep loss, I think. Do you attribute your previously lower scores to sleep loss or other reasons or you just don't know? I remember a 2011 paper that suggested there was a cognitive decline associated with WED/RLS apart from whatever might be caused by sleep loss or the distraction of WED sensations. I don't know how they figured it out.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

It's a great idea to measure yourself over time. You must be very pleased to see the number going up. I do sudoku and killer puzzles as well as other number puzzles and crosswords but I do them on paper to avoid having the blue (allegedly melatonin destroying) light. I play chess online but I lose so consistently that I doubt there would be any meaningful statistics available. I do notice that I go through phases of feeling like I do the puzzles more quickly and cleverly and others when I am very slow. I have never managed to find a correlation between the amount of sleep I am getting or the drugs I am on and the clever phases. Earlier in 2017 I went through a really clever quick phase and I was taking loads of kratom and cannabis and getting very little sleep due to nocturnal alerting. Needless to say as soon as I resumed work all the cleverness deserted me and all I am left with is an appalling short term memory and a reasonable ability to wing it and also to look intelligent while saying nothing.