Ice Cream

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
2BassetMom

Ice Cream

Post by 2BassetMom »

Has anyone found that Ice cream is a trigger for rls? I love ice cream and eat it almost every night. Just wondering if it could be a trigger. Thanks!

badnights

Re: Ice Cream

Post by badnights »

I have heard many people on here say that ice cream is a trigger for them. I have no idea why that would be so, but there's got to be something about it.

Try ice coconut milk, see if that triggers it. (maybe it's the milk)

Try ice cream sweetened with something other than what your trigger ice cream is sweetened with. (maybe it's the sweetener)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

Thanks for the reply. I will try the coconut milk ice cream. I have tasted it and it is pretty good.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

In one video I saw of Dr Buchfuhrer, he suggests that there are very few verified food triggers but in his experience, based on anecdotal evidence, alcohol and ice cream were common triggers.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, it gets mentioned a LOT! What we cannot know is what part of the ice cream is the issue. The sugars? The dairy? Some additive? I had some ice cream last night - do not eat it a lot - and had RLS shortly thereafter. I thought about all the times people have said this. I also wondered if it was time of day - I eat it late, after the dishes are done and I am sitting down to be quiet. Hmmm. So many possibilities!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I don't eat ice cream often - don't really like it (am I weird?) - but I have occasionally had coconut milk ice "cream" (sweetened with agave) since I quit eating dairy and it never set off my WED/RLS.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

I believe it is a trigger for me. It is also a weakness. I am not sure if it is the sugar or something else in it. But is seems to make things worse. It is also not good for my weight.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

It seems kind of sad to think of ice cream as a trigger. I consider this one of my few comfort foods. So far I haven't seen a difference in when I do enjoy ice cream and when I do without. Maybe not a trigger? I hope so! I don't eat that much when I have it, maybe a 1/2 cup.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I never thought it was a trigger - I do not eat it that often, but enough over the years to have had no obvious problem. Then one night it seemed to. I honestly think it may have been coincidence. Once in awhile, sugar seems to be a trigger, too. But other times not. So, either none of it is really a trigger and the RLS is simply variable...or everything is a trigger sometimes, lol.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I love ice cream.

yawny

Post by yawny »

I’ve never been a fan of ice cream but when family visited over the recent holidays I ended up, after almost every visit, at a parlor a few blocks from their rental. I consumed huge amounts of ice cream and it was fantastic. I would plan which flavors I was going to get next, and whether the combinations would work together, especially with the different sauces of caramel, hot fudge, or fruit sauces. Ice cream got me through the visit and I’m forever thankful to it. But none of it made my symptoms worse. A few days after my family left for home, my need for ice cream left too.

As far as other foods known to cause problems, I have experimented with different chocolate candy and chocolate cake/brownie mixes and there doesn’t seem to be a hardfast rule. I can tolerate some brands of milk chocolate and others drive my legs crazy. I can’t have King Arthur’s gluten free chocolate cake but I can have the KA gluten free brownie mix. I’ve tested it many times (husband has a sweet tooth so I bake regularly) with consistent results. I like to have different options, it’s so freeing, but being open to testing things feels more like accepting a big double dog dare.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I find that it is the expensive chocolate that causes me problems, where I can get away with cheap chocolate candys, etc. It is how much cocoa or real chocolate is in an item, or cake, etc.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

2BassetMom wrote:It seems kind of sad to think of ice cream as a trigger. I consider this one of my few comfort foods. So far I haven't seen a difference in when I do enjoy ice cream and when I do without. Maybe not a trigger? I hope so! I don't eat that much when I have it, maybe a 1/2 cup.

Triggers are different for everyone. I can drink alcohol without problems, while other RLS will experience marked symptoms after consuming very little of it. I do connect RLS with sugar, however, I'm not sure if it's cause and effect or just correlation. If I eat a lot of sugary stuff I often have symptoms. However, this happens only if I have severe cravings (which I experience occasionally), so the sugar cravings may just be the urge to satisfy an already existing dopamine shortage.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Frunobulax wrote:
2BassetMom wrote:It seems kind of sad to think of ice cream as a trigger. I consider this one of my few comfort foods. So far I haven't seen a difference in when I do enjoy ice cream and when I do without. Maybe not a trigger? I hope so! I don't eat that much when I have it, maybe a 1/2 cup.

Triggers are different for everyone. I can drink alcohol without problems, while other RLS will experience marked symptoms after consuming very little of it. I do connect RLS with sugar, however, I'm not sure if it's cause and effect or just correlation. If I eat a lot of sugary stuff I often have symptoms. However, this happens only if I have severe cravings (which I experience occasionally), so the sugar cravings may just be the urge to satisfy an already existing dopamine shortage.

This makes a LOT of sense to me. I can eat sugary things several times with no effect - then all the sudden it does. And, like you, I believe that when it is an issue is when I have cravings for it.

Years ago, I started having what I call sleep attacks. After awhile, I decided it was eating carbs that caused it. But after years with it (it is very sporadic and can happen every week or not for a year), I realized that I was eating in reaction to the initial sleepiness and if I didn't eat, I'd still have the sleep attack. I think I am unconsciously trying to resolve the issue - whether it be the RLS or the sleep attack (which could have a similar cause) with food and if I ate steak or cabbage, I'd still have the same outcome, but since we often say sugar causes it, it's easy to jump to that conclusion.

Managing Your RLS