Opioid Interview on TV

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Rustsmith

Opioid Interview on TV

Post by Rustsmith »

I don't know how long this will be available, but here is the link to my interview on the opioid crackdown.

http://www.koaa.com/story/37417551/opio ... r-to-treat
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Re: Opioid Interview on TV

Post by Yankiwi »

Good, Steve.
People in general and doctors just don't get it. RLS is different and tylenol etc just don't work. Xanax laced with fentanyl does not come from a doctor or pharmacy. The opioid epidemic is being blown out of proportion to the reality of genuine patients needing pain control. In my opinion, decades ago the epidemic was fuelled by doctors overprescribing but now it is street drugs doing the harm. The two cannot be compared.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Very good Steve!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope it is up for awhile - have no wifi where I am, so cannot watch it until I get home!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Steve, excellent.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

The Foundation staff advises me that the link was picked up by a national news feed. So it is getting more exposure than even I had hoped for. Now I just need to hope that it doesn't attract unwanted attention. Thankfully I live in a building with greater security than if I was still a suburban home owner.
Steve

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

Thank you Steve, excellent.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Great interview!!! And not too horribly biased coverage by the news (that's the most I'll give any news these days). :lol: A lot of time they subtly undermine the interviewee but I thought they were respectful to you.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

leggo, I agree about the potential for slanting the message. The person editing the spot can do so much to change the message and that was my fear until I saw it. Some of the TV stations advertisers are the local hospitals, one of which I was very careful not to name. On two different occasions I have been involved in issues that were reported on the national networks. In both cases I was amazed at how much they could bias the message by only reporting the facts that fit the media's viewpoints. It wasn't what they reported, it was the part that they chose not to report.
Steve

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I can't stand the news media.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Great job, Steve. Thanks for putting yourself out like that. I'm sure it wasn't easy. But then, nothing about this lousy disease is easy anyway.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Steve, yes. And even their tone of voice.

I did discover a bias when I thougjt about it...every time they report on the "opioid crisis" they don't have a dissenting opinion, but yet they felt obligated to "balance" your perspective with Mr. Doctor Authority Figure.

badnights

Post by badnights »

But they didn't balance Steve's opinion, they only "balanced" the opinion of a pain patient. For me, the main point is that this is a disease that's treated with opioids. It's not pain, it's a disease. As far as I know, it's the only disease legitimately treated with opioids. I hate how they didn't emphasize that point, probably didn't even get it, they just lumped you in with pain patients. Pain patients have a different set of problems. Perhaps - with the proper support, which is generally absent - a pain patient can change her neuronal connections in such a way that she no longer experiences pain, but such a feat is not possible for WED/RLS. Or, if it is, no one has even theorized how to go about it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Great point badnights!

When I say pain I'm thinking of the paper that described how itching, electrical sensations, etc are considered a form of pain.

But I'm sure the news wasn't making that distinction.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Yes, our sensations can be described as pain. They fit within the broad definition of pain, which is a distressing and unpleasant sensation, but unlike most pain, they don't usually include the impression that body tissues are being damaged.

Whether we call it pain or call it something else, the main point I think needs to be made is that opioids treat our primary disease symptoms. They're not treating pain secondary to growth of cancerous tissues, they're not treating the pain of a back injury, not treating "by-products" of disease; in WED, they're treating the main (often the only) symptom of the disease.

I don't think I've described the difference convincingly, but I sense that there is an important difference between why opioids are used for WED and why they're used for other conditions.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.