Sedation used in cataract surgery

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
pab628

Sedation used in cataract surgery

Post by pab628 »

I am due to have cataract surgery soon and information mentioned they would give you a mild sedative. I am concerned about the effects. Have any of you had any trouble with cataract surgery? What should I tell my Ophthalmologist to avoid; or, is the sedative normally so light, there is no problem?

2BassetMom

Re: Sedation used in cataract surgery

Post by 2BassetMom »

I had cataract surgery in Dec. 2017. I had no problems with the sedative. I took my usual dose of oxycodone before hand and my legs were still. I did warn the doctor and his staff about my restless legs. The surgery doesn't take very long. I hope all goes well for you.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

I had cataract surgery in November. No problems. Morning surgery
Blessings,
Holland

badnights

Post by badnights »

Potentially useful to you -

Avoid or administer with caution (potential for severe exacerbation of disease symptoms):
• Opioid antagonists (naloxone, naltrexone)
• Antiemetic agents with dopamine antagonist or histamine antagonist properties (metoclopramide HCl, prochlorperazine, promethazine HCl)
• Antihistamines that cross the blood-brain barrier (diphenhydramine in particular)
• Neuroleptic agents (butyrophenones, including droperidol; phenothiazines)
• Tricyclic, tetracyclic or selective serotonin reuptake inhibiting antidepressants (except as part of current therapeutic regimen)

Examples of medications to avoid:
• Anti-nauseates—Antivert/Bonine (meclizine), Atarax, Compazine, Phenergan, Thorazine, Tigan, Vistaril, Reglan;
Safe alternatives: Kytril, Zofran.
• Antihistamines—Beware of all sedating, especially Benadryl & OTC/Rx combination cold/sinus/cough medications: Actifed, Comtrex, Contact, Dimetapp, Triaminic, TheraFlu, Vicks cough syrup, Tylenol PM, Excedrin PM, Bayer PM, Sominex, Unisom; safe alternatives: Allegra, Claritin, Clarinex, Zyrtec (usually)
• Atypical Neuroleptics—approach with caution: Clozaril, Risperdal, Seroquel, Zyprexa
• Anti-psychotics—Haldol, Loxitane, Mellaril, Moban, Navane, Prolixin, Serentil, Stelazine, Thorazine, Vesprin
• Anti-depressants—All may cause WED worsening;
Alternatives: Wellbutrin, trazodone, Serzone, desipramine (possibly)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.