Hyperarousal as symptom of rls

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
legsbestill

Hyperarousal as symptom of rls

Post by legsbestill »

I see hyperarousal listed as a symptom of Rls on Johns Hopkins website and in the recent dipyridamole paper to name but two references. It is attributed to excess glutamate and is said to explain why Rls/wed sufferers are not tired during the day in spite of very disturbed nights.

It is my misfortune that I do not appear to experience hyperarousal during the day - how I wish I did. One of the many difficulties of this disease is that typically I have been exhausted in the day - dragging myself around (though not since I started dipyridamole). I read many other sufferers describing the same problems. I am therefore led to wonder whether daytime hyperarousal is genuinely a symptom of the disease.

When I was on opioids I experienced hyperarousal at night time and I have read through the thread that speculated that this could be a phenomenon specific to RLS sufferers - certainly my pharmacist was amazed when I told her about it - but that was at night. I don’t think I experience hyperalertness during the day and wonder do any of you fellow sufferers?

I know we are all different (waad) but ...

ViewsAskew

Re: Hyperarousal as symptom of rls

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think I did for years, but that over time, the deficit is just too immense. I also think about others I know. If some of them slept as little as I did, they wouldn't be sluggish, as I am, they could NOT function. I sometimes think that the hyperarousal is all that is between me and complete dysfunction.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

I don't have hyperarousal. I am exhausted during the day from lack of sleep. I wish I could be more active and alert. I try to maintain a schedule of sorts but usually I'm napping off and on.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I have the Hopkins style hyperarousal during the day and would have it at night if not for a heavy dose of gabapentin. Taking a nap during the day is usually difficult, even if I am dead tired. I can slow down and rest, thanks to methadone, but actually falling asleep isn't going to occur. And I am alert enough to do what needs to be done. That doesn't mean that I couldn't do better if I had more rest and didn't have all these neurotransmitter problems. But I didn't feel groggy even while in the depths of augmentation when I was averaging 3.5 hrs of sleep each night. In fact, I wrote several long, very detailed technical reports during that time thanks to hyperarousal.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.