Imobilizer legs and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
judynana

Imobilizer legs and RLS

Post by judynana »

I have been in the hospital for a month. My previously implanted artificial knee (3years) became infected. I have to wear an imobilizer for at least another month while taking IV Antibiotics. My RLS has increased dramatically since this happened. Has anyone had this experience and what did you do?

ViewsAskew

Re: Imobilizer legs and RLS

Post by ViewsAskew »

judynana - sounds like a very difficult situation! I have not had it happen to me; hope someone has some suggestions for you.

Do you take any medication for the RLS?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Judynana,

Welcome to the RLS Community. You will find lots of friendly helpful folks with lots of advice and you are amongst a group who gets it when it comes to RLS.

Your situation sounds just awful. How bad is your RLS and what medicines have you been taking for your RLS? Also, how much longer will you be in the hospital? After that will you be in a rehab facility or at home?

I've been bedridden after surgery a couple of times, but never for anywhere near that long. Additionally I was given narcotics to help control postoperative pain while I recovered, so my RLS was adequately treated by the opioids.

Knowing how severe your RLS is and what you are currently taking and what you have taken in the past for it will help us to give you better advice on the best way to proceed.
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

This sounds like a situation of nightmares and I hope you do have a sympathetic doctor.
Have the hospital doctors any understanding of your RLS and symptoms, have they tried to help you.
Are you still in hospital?

I'd suggest a discussion with your doctor (possibly your GP)and ask for extra help with your symptoms which will be difficult to manage over the next few weeks because of your inactivity.. If you are taking a DA medication such as Requip or Mirapex I wouldn't be wanting to increase that, but would look towards perhaps temporarily adding one of the different medications known to help with RLS.
We would need to know what medication you are already taking.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation