Over-the-counter sleep aids

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
barbeegee

Over-the-counter sleep aids

Post by barbeegee »

Do the OTC sleep aids help or hinder? I bought Sominex but am afraid to take it. I'm fearing a worse case of RLS from it. If anyone has taken any of these did it make the RLS worse or better????

2BassetMom

Re: Over-the-counter sleep aids

Post by 2BassetMom »

I find that sleep aid medication of any kind makes my rls much worse. Sorry. It's so hard when we can't get enough sleep. I try all the usual methods: baths, music, and such but it usually is up to the whims of the rls.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

OTC sleep aids usually include the generic form of Benedryl as the agent to induce sleep. Benedryl is one of the worst offenders when it comes to being an RLS trigger. So, rather than helping your go to sleep, many of these products will cause you to be up all night with significant RLS problems.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

barbeegee

Post by barbeegee »

Yep, thanks...won't even try them.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Sominex is diphenhydramine, same as Benadryl. Good on you for thinking twice and finding out before trying! That would have been a nightmare for you.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.