IV iron infusion

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
2restless

IV iron infusion

Post by 2restless »

My husband is starting iron infusions. His ferriton was 93, we are trying to raise it to 125. A literature search by the doctor revealed that low molecular weight iron (iron gluconate) gets into the CNS system best, so he is having 8 infusions (1/day) 125 mg each. I have been told that Medicare will not pay for these infusions, as this is considered experiential, so we are concerned about the out of pocket cost. I prefer him to get one infusion to cut down the cost of the transfusion center. Have any of you had this? Do you know what iron formulation you had? Does it make a difference, or is iron infusion -iron infusion? I am most familiar with Feraheme 510 mg, two doses given 1 week apart.

Thank you.

Rustsmith

Re: IV iron infusion

Post by Rustsmith »

Others who have had iron infusions can provide you with their experience. If you are a member of the Foundation, they have an excellent webinar that was presented by Dr Earley at Johns Hopkins on iron and RLS. In the webinar, he not only discusses why iron is so critical, but also the differences between the various types of iron used in infusions. You can even download the slides to give to his doctor. If you are not a member, the $35 membership fee would be money well spent for you for this one webinar alone. I didn't listen to the webinar again, but I believe that Dr Earley's recommendation is to use Ferric Carboxymaltose (Injectafer).
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Re: IV iron infusion

Post by ViewsAskew »

Answered the question in other thread where you also asked.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.