bandage & socks for RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
art4ea

bandage & socks for RLS

Post by art4ea »

Hi. I had an idea about RLS symptoms. I wrap my calf with an Ace (or some other brand) bandage & the restless feeling stops. My mother tried support stockings & that worked for her. My husband used an Ace knee support (white, two metal support bands on each side, & a hole for the knee). He just pulled it up so the top elastic section of the brace was on his calf. Worked for all of us. Hope this helps somebody.
Elizabeth A

Polar Bear

Re: bandage & socks for RLS

Post by Polar Bear »

Welcome to the Discussion Board.
It's great that this works for all of you. Many of our members do find that it helps, it sometimes helps, or indeed that there is no benefit.
Do you wrap your calf after the symptoms start, how long does it take for your restless feeling to stop? And how long has this been working for you.

I find that the very thought of something like flight socks makes me want to run for the hills.

We are all so different in what helps us and even, what helped us last week may not help us this week.

It's always helpful to hear what helps someone else.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I find that the very thought of something like flight socks makes me want to run for the hills.

I'm glad an ace bandage works for some people, I'm glad if anything works! But personally, I agree with Polar Bear.

art4ea

Post by art4ea »

I use the bandage after the feeling starts. The sensation stops as soon as I put the bandage on. Using the bandage for 3 months, & so far it works every time. My husband & mom used their type of ‘wrap’ for 2 months, & the feeling stops for them. As for the socks, I didn’t know they had more than one use. Support is the term she used.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Are you saying that the sensation ceases.... as soon as your put the bandage on? i.e. Immediately, as in 'instantly'
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

art4ea

Post by art4ea »

Mine worked instantly, as did my moms. My husband says 5 minutes.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I think elastic bandages (ace bandages) can be a good tool for many of us. I found they subdued the sensations but not usually enough, and sometimes they seemed to make things worse. Also what a pain to put on and off. I tried the support stockings, but I can't have my toes restricted. I found a pair that's made without toes, but I couldn't leave them on overnight -- same thing, after a while they made things worse :(

But it's definitely something people should try. That bit of pressure can be enough of a distraction that the WED/RLS sensations don't get through. I still have to wear ankle warmers to bed - partly for the warmth and partly for the sensation of something secure around the ankles. Otherwise it feels like gaping empty cold space where my ankles are supposed to be, and I cannot for the life of me sleep with that.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I had a left over pair from surgery about 12 years ago. I put them on before a long flight and had them off, in the seat, while still on the ground.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yankiwi wrote:I had a left over pair from surgery about 12 years ago. I put them on before a long flight and had them off, in the seat, while still on the ground.

That would be me also.
Betty

art4ea

Post by art4ea »

Mine worked instantly, as did my moms. My husband says 5 minutes.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope they continue to work for you, for a long time.
Betty