Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Re: Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

Post by ViewsAskew »

Coming up in a few days - let us know how you are as soon as you can.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thanks.
I saw my hip Doctor last week for 5 yr check up. They will never have to be replaced. Plus he said I should not have any trouble walking. The knees are good for another 5 to 10 years. Interesting, he said I won't have symptoms. I get them all rechecked in another 5 years.
My rehab for the back will be walking 30 min twice a day.
I decided to cut my mirapex in half. I hadn't taken it for awhile and spasms were getting bad. I can't believe how much I sleep on the night I take it. I'm thinking that I might cut it into 4ths. It totally takes away the spasms.

badnights

Post by badnights »

can't hurt to see if a quarter of a tab will work. Wouldn't that be amazing?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes!

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Surgery went well. Was supposed to go home after one night here. Had to stay second night. Spasms were bad. They had trouble trying to figure out what to give me. It seems that since I have been on methadone so long, it messes up the receptors. They doubled my methadone and started giving me mirapex everyday. Also a muscle relaxant and a prednisone type drug, IV push. Then went to a tablet. It took all of the that stop spasms. Oh, and valium, IV push. I am having to use a walker.
I feel like I would have been in really trouble if I hadn't gotten this surgery. Also, the spasms are originating from my thigh. Having less groin pain. Back just aches from surgery.
Overall, I am feeling positive. Hope spasms calm down, so I can reduce meds.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

YAY! Not that you had so much trouble, but that you are positive!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

When I said spasms were coming from thigh, I meant the back, but I feel them in the thigh. They are no longer jerking my leg. If I were to measure the length of my groin pain, I'd say it was about 6 inches in length. Now it is just 2 inches. The ride home was a b#%$×, but I made it. Spasms all the way. All I could do was rub my leg and cry. Had to stop half way so I could walk. There is only one place to stop on the highway. An hour ride. Oh, I'm using a walker too. Still on a ton of meds. Have to figure out what and how to wean, but not this week. I was thinking about the methadone first while I have the other ones to help with the withdrawal. I will only have the other ones so long. The only thing I did tonight was to go back to my 2.5 mg instead of the 5mg of methadone they were giving me.
Oh, and the Doctor said the whole area had collapsed. I'm surprised that I didn't have more problems. I know I would have later.
Good to be in my own bed.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Happy to hear that surgery is over and you are safely home. Indeed, nothing like your own bed. Well done.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds like it was not much fun. Glad you are home - really hoping it works out as you are thinking it will.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hope it works out, Deb. It would be nice to get off meds!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

deb, I really hope this works out well for you and that your RLS either disappears or reduces to the point of being an occasional annoyance. For the past couple of years, I am thinking about you when I tell friends that I probably have second most severe case of RLS in Colorado. For your sake, I hope that I can soon start saying that I have the worst case :lol: .
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Oh Steve, how I wish there was something for all of us. All I know right now is that the nerves must be feeling free. I'm sure it will take awhile for them to adjust. I keep getting new sensations.
The RLS really hasn't been that bad except when I was trying to wean off a drug. Pretty much controlleded by drugs. It's the spasms that I pray will get better. I read with my kind of back problems it can cause spasms. It's unbelievable to me that the whole area was collapsed. It seems to me the symptoms should have been worse. I'm sure it would have gotten worse.
Time will tell. Tonight I'm up because of some pain. I really don't want to take too much oxy.
I thank everyone for the good wishes.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

One change that is great, I'm able to sleep on my right side without my hip hurting, longer that 2 hours. I don't know how long yet. Tonight was 3.5 hours before I needed a bathroom break. My hip feels fine. Because of my precautions, my husband had put a pillow behind my back and I hadn't moved. I don't move unless I'm awake. I'm not sure about the left side, the right side has always been more comfortable. I have been on the left a little since the surgert, but I just don't know yet.
Yeah!!

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

This is not a good day. Worst ever. I'm sure it's my body wanting more oxy. It only takes a few days for it to happen. Before it was spasms, now it's pain. $#%@!÷%#
I don't know, even though I'm in more pain, I probably should cut back and stop it. Otherwise it will just get worse. Not sure.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The more I think about it, I know my body just wants more oxy. I am not going to give in. The thing is, this is not spasms, It's post op pain. Before, I would pace, but usually ride my bike. Can't do that now. I get tired when I walk too far, not allowed to ride bike. I put a call into the doctors office. He seems to really understand pain and receptors. I guess I will walk. @$#%%%!$