Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

Post by debbluebird »

I went to the pain Doctor today, hoping to get scheduled for an injection in my back. I am loaded with arthritis, plus I have had a laminectomy, and had a herniated disc in the same area. Since my spasms have become progressively worse plus my pain and I have had to add several meds in the last year or so, I decided I wanted to get another injection. I was hoping that it would help. She looked at my MRI from last year. She said that my spinal fluid is totally cut off in that area, plus my stair step is worse. My words for spondylolisthesis. So now I have an appointment with the surgeon. So I am wondering, will I be able to reduce my meds? I sure hope so. I always felt that my RLS came from the arthritis in my back. Both started at the same time.

debbluebird

Re: Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

Post by debbluebird »

Today I looked up information regarding my back. I couldn't believe it, when I saw exactly my symptoms. Spasms in leg, also numbness, tingling and nerve pain. I can't tell you what a relief it was to read all of that. I am concerned about if I have the surgery, what will be left. Not all back surgery is successful. Some people have more pain afterwards.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My brother, for twenty years, thought he had RLS as the rest of us in the family do. When he started dropping dishes and couldn't hold on to things, he went to a doctor. Turned out he had spinal issue he was born with and that worsened over time. He had the surgery and has had no RLS since.

Wouldn't it be great if this was the cause and that surgery would solve it??? Yes, as you noted, back surgery doesn't always work. But, it does a lot, so here's hoping.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am really hoping to get off the drugs.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:I am really hoping to get off the drugs.

I sure would love to!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

curqlink

Post by curqlink »

I used to make comments on how ridiculous it was when dr's would put old people on so many meds. Now i'm one of those people.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yep

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Having back surgery Oct 16. L3,4,5 laminectomies and fusion. Not looking forward to It, but maybe I can get off of some of these meds.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Deb, there were a couple of comments made during the Foundation Patient Symposium that made me think about you and your back problems. They didn't give any specifics, but it was pretty clear that structural back problems such as yours can have a strong relationship with RLS. They didn't come out and actually say it since every case is different, but it sounded like you have a good reason to be hopeful for improvement with your RLS.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Good, Steve. I just know that my RLS and at first mild spasms started after I started having back pains. It was in my 30's. Thanks

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

As usual I am getting very nervous before this back surgery. I have had so many surgeries, I have lost count. ( knees, hips, shoulder, etc) This one will probably be the most challenging, the most pain and the most restrictions, for the longest period of time. Because of the doctors appt yesterday, and because they twisted me ever which way, and addition to the car ride, 1 hour there and last night was difficult. Leg was going crazy.
I have had a fairly good month. One of my reprieves. Well, that has come to an end.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:As usual I am getting very nervous before this back surgery. I have had so many surgeries, I have lost count. ( knees, hips, shoulder, etc) This one will probably be the most challenging, the most pain and the most restrictions, for the longest period of time. Because of the doctors appt yesterday, and because they twisted me ever which way, and addition to the car ride, 1 hour there and last night was difficult. Leg was going crazy.
I have had a fairly good month. One of my reprieves. Well, that has come to an end.

:-(

Managing Your RLS

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

I hope this surgery is successful and the recovery is not as difficult as you anticipate. As for the spinal problems connected to RLS: I have had a bulging disk in my L4&5. I originally went to pain management for this but RLS developed also. My neurosurgeon says that their is a connection between my back problems and my RLS. Usually if I start to feel the pain from my back the legs soon start their dancing. I am hoping for the best for you.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yep, that's what I have always thought for me.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I had had a fairly good period, but for the last week, I haven't had much sleep.