Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Re: Back Surgery and RLS plus spasms

Post by debbluebird »

PA called, I'm to take oxy every 4 hours for the next few days to a week. She said the pain gets worse for a few days after surgery, then gets better.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Better day today. Went to PT. She told me that Doctors are starting to band together, against all of those who are pushing the "crisis", to advocate for their patients who really needs the meds to survive. Like us!! I was so happy to hear that. It may take time.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

This morning I got some mild spasms that woke me up for.a nap. I just got up. At 2 am, a while ago same thing happened. I decided to take a half if a mirapex. Did a few laps (walking), then I will go back to bed soon. I know it's the nerves coming to life, saying " yes I know we are free now. Just getting used to everything". I feel positive about it for now, since I have not had the bad ones.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

GOOD!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The rest of the night didn't work out so great (last night). Never went back to bed. Pain really didn't settle down until the evening of that day. Spasms were gone. For whatever reason the pain finally went down and I was able to sleep tonight. Sitting and standing gave me the most relief.
It's 4 am now (next night), up for a pill and bathroom. Put the ice pack on. Feels so good. Not enough discomfort that I should be able to sleep in a bit.
All day yesterday I tried to lie down to sleep. I was so so sleepy, but the pain was just too much. I just walked and sat. I was some how able to sit straight, close my eyes and rest.
Oh I forgot, I brought home a chair from our clinic. I was sitting in the lobby after PT, remarked to the ladies how the chair was perfect. My chairs at home had been uncomfortable. They let me take it home. The advantages of a small town. Of course I will return it in 3 months. They had several in the conference room.
12 hours ago I was feeling discouraged, now better.

badnights

Post by badnights »

How sweet about the chair!
I hope the pain subsides for you.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Me too Beth.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I went to physical therapy yesterday. She did deep massage on my thigh. Muscles very tight. Then she did a heat treatment. Oh, all of that felt so good. Used heat that evening and night, intermittent. Best night I have had so far. Not as good tonight. That's the way it's been.
This is just going to take time.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm 3 weeks post op later today. I'm having medium spasms on third night after mirapex wears off. So I'm able to sleep for two nights, third night I'm up. Pain is getting less. My legs ache a lot. Still on a lot of meds.
Methadone, oxycodone, soma, gabapentin, Tylenol, all every eight hours and mirapex every third night. I'm supposed to stop oxycodone this week. Don't know which one will be next. It just seems like mirapex is the only one that stops the spasms. I already feel like I take it too often.
I know it is still early, but feeling discouraged.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can empathize. :-(.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I may have augmented on Mirapex. I went from half tab to whole, .125 mg. The went from every 3 or 4 days to every 48 hours. Spasms have increased. Started 12 hours after taking it the last time. Also I was required to wean off oxycodone. I'm down to 1/2 tab, 5mg in 24 hours. So maybe combination of both. Only got less than two hours sleep last night. Also supposed to wean off soma in the next few days.
I'm supposed to go to PT today. I may just quit. I think they make it worse.
See primary in a week. See surgeon in 2 weeks. I am 4 weeks post op.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm a hot mess. Sitting here at Dr.'s office, primary. She doesn't know what to do with me. Waiting, she is calling surgeon. I'm afraid I won't be able to sleep today or tonight. Who knows when. When this happens to me, I fall apart.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Debbie, your situation is absolutely terrible. I hope something can be figured out for you. I'd be crying all the time. (ironically, a crying jag can sometimes calm my legs but your spasms are a lot worse)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Deb - so, so, so, sorry to hear this. I know you were so hopeful. This is the worst, to me. To be let down, once again.

Hope your doc can figure out something to help.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Well, some of the feelings I am getting in my legs are actually good signs that show the nerves are responding. I knew going into this It could take a long time.
I was a mess most of the day. My primary talked to the surgeon, and they came up with a plan. Meds were adjusted.
I slept an hour around 10 pm. Woke up to spasms. After midnight meds I was able to sleep 45 min. Woke up to spasms.
Now, I am extremely sleepy, but having spasms. Having a hard time sitting. Must walk. The meds have done their job to make me sleepy, but have not helped spasms much.
Not sure how the rest of the night will work out yet.
To make it clear to all of you, I am not having the horrible spasms that used to jerk my leg out of my body ( that's how it felt). So I guess that's something. Spasms are just enough to keep me from sleeping.
I just have needed an outlet to express what has been going on. (Here)
Hope everyone else is sleeping tonight.