RLS and Alcohol remedies....?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Nickmav

RLS and Alcohol remedies....?

Post by Nickmav »

Hello all, I've read quite a few posts about how alcohol increases the symptoms of RLS and many of you are abstaining. (I know and feel the pain from alcoho) I now only have a few glasses of wine on weekends, because it takes 2-3 hours after drinking my last wine and taking 600 Gabapentin to fall asleep. Are there ANY remedies, or solutions to the RL symptoms that work... after drinking alcohol? I'm not ready to give it up. Is there anything that anyone has tried that relieves the symtoms? Lots and lots of water? I don't want to take any more meds...painkillers! Is the solution to just abstain or do I just deal with it on those nights?? And have a terrible next day?

legsbestill

Re: RLS and Alcohol remedies....?

Post by legsbestill »

I find wine far worse than spirits. My legs will tolerate whiskey or two without playing up but wine gets them going every time. I find it difficult enough to control them at the best of times - haven’t come across a neutralising agent for the effects of wine ... except time.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Well, short answer is more meds or suffer. lol, Not what you wanted to hear. I don't have the magic bullet, wish I did.

I used to think draft beer and red wine were the culprits, so I stuck to bottled beer and tried to learn to like white wines. I've since gone gluten-free, so no more beer at all (it was hard to give up! there is no gluten-free "beer" that I like), but also, I have since had red wines that don;t make my symptoms go nuts, and white wines that do. Sometimes one glass is all it takes; sometimes two. I haven't figured out what causes it (the barrels? additives? the moon in Sagittarius?).
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am with Beth - sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes it's as if the devil visited me. And, sometimes in between. So, I certainly haven't found a solution!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

I will have a very small amount of red wine at dinner. This happens maybe once a month. I don't notice any change in my symptoms. Occasionally, when I am having a very bad night I will have a "wee dram" of good single malt scotch with a bit of water. I don't know what it does for my physical state but it definitely helps my mental attitude. This only occurs about every 6 weeks. I have several bad night in-between but it's when I have had it with this monster disease. I never have been one to imbibe on a regular basis if that helps.

Nickmav

Post by Nickmav »

Thank you all for your tips...help. Yes...must keep going...trying everything....Keep that devil outta me..:)
Nick