Does exercise help?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Calgary Cowgirl

Does exercise help?

Post by Calgary Cowgirl »

Hi
I have never seen anyone discuss their physical activity level and RLS - I'm curious to see if there is a corelation? My legs are bad and have been for 20 years off and on - I am in a good period these last few weeks - but have been doing alot of Pilates and more exercise. Does anyone else have any comments as to exercise and phsical activites and RLS symptons?

sardsy75

RE: Physical Activity

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi there :)

Good question and good topic!

I'm thinking that most initial reactions will be "we pace the floors all night, that's enough excercise for anyone!" with which i wholeheartedly agree with going on my own experiences in the first instance.

However, we should all be aiming to enjoy some outdoor exercise every day if possible. Everyone has their own limits though and each person should keep it very light until they get to know what they can and cannot do. Outdoor exercise enables us to gain the benefits of fresh air, sunshine, nature observation, social interaction (for example walking with someone else), and sleep improvement -- as well as the general body strengthening.

My RLS is secondary and my primary condition is ME/CFS and I have to be very careful about not overdoing it. One day I can happily spend a couple of hours in the garden, the next week that same "excercise" can have me laid up in bed for three days. :roll: I love walking, but that too can take it's toll on me if I'm enjoying my surroundings too much (i.e. the gardens or beach) and walk too far :? I also practice Tai Chi and am on the lookout for a good Yoga teacher at the moment.

I'm definitely in favour of exercise - it also helps keep the mind fit!!

Take care
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Hey Cowgirl,

I've been an athlete all my life and had RLS as well. I have never been able to correlate increased fitness/activity = less RLS or decreased fitness/activity = increased RLS, however much I wish it were so!

I thought recently that perhaps I exacerbated my RLS with increased weight lifting, but don't know if that's the case (and I'm not willing to stop lifting at this time to find out).

Best,

Heron

Minou

ME/CFS?

Post by Minou »

Sardsy75,

I am sure this is a stupid question. I think CFS is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but what is ME/CFS? :?: Thanks for any enlightenment!

jcox

Post by jcox »

I think exercise is great for many different reasons all of them the usual reasons, but I find very little relief from symptoms, and those are temporary

sardsy75

Re: ME/CFS?

Post by sardsy75 »

Minou wrote:Sardsy75,

I am sure this is a stupid question. I think CFS is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but what is ME/CFS? :?: Thanks for any enlightenment!

There is no such thing as a stupid question Minou!!!

CFS, or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is also referred to, more often in medical circles, as ME or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

Because CFS is commonly "written off" as the "yuppie flu", the term Myalgic Encephamyelitis gets (and retains) people's attention a little quicker!

Take care!
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Re: Does exercise help?

Post by Guest »

Calgary Cowgirl wrote:Hi
I have never seen anyone discuss their physical activity level and RLS - I'm curious to see if there is a corelation? My legs are bad and have been for 20 years off and on - I am in a good period these last few weeks - but have been doing alot of Pilates and more exercise. Does anyone else have any comments as to exercise and phsical activites and RLS symptons?

I think exercise can have an impact. I try to exercise in the morning and not at night.

I've had mild RLS since I was a little girl. I also get bad leg cramps in the winter if I let my feet get too cold. When I go to bed with achy legs, I almost always experience RLS fits that night. Based on my own experience, there is a correlation between leg discomfort and RLS. Long days spent walking around a festival or excessively strenuous exercise (I like cycling) will do it for me. I'm usually okay if I stretch well in the morning and at night and exercise early in the day.

Then to the opposite extreme, if I sit around for too long in the evening, I'll have a fit as well, sometimes before I go to bed. And sometimes just thinking about it starts one up, so I'm going away now. Bye! :)