Social Security - US

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Social Security - US

Post by ViewsAskew »

With the recent fibro diagnosis, I am rapidly coming to the conlusion that I will never work full time again. I hurt so much so often, the fog is much worse than with RLS alone, and it also hurts my sleep. I really didn't need that. But, none of us do, do we?

At any rate, am wondering if I should try for Social Security disability.

Does anyone know the drawbacks? I am a minimum of ten years from getting full benefits. It must affect that, I'd think. I read a bit, but not much. It depressed me to even consider it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Re: Social Security - US

Post by sleepdancer2 »

I filed for disability at age 53. Took me 3 years and was turned down iniitally and on appeal. Had to take it to a hearing with attorney representation. My attorney said it goes easier for those already at least 55, although I know someone else who had the same trouble getting approved and she is 58. Was on Medicaid in the interim. It is really hard to get approved, especially if you try to work some up till approval. In my case it didn't matter that I was destitute, I simply could not work. I would not have been approved for any one of my diagnoses, but their combined effect caused me to meet their standard for disability. It helps to have a doctor who knows the system and how to document your illness effectively. That needs to be happening with each visit as you lead up to filing. Your ability to function on a job needs to be so unpredictable that no one would would hire you with such unreliability. I fought quitting and caused myself great duress for too long. It did a number on me mentally for a while - had worked since I was 14. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Debbie filed for SSDI when she was 30 due to MS. It took 2 years of struggle before she was finally approved. At least at that time, over 90% of all applicants are turned down the first time around. For the first appeal, at least 50% were turned down at that stage. For the second appeal, you have to hire an attorney and over 90% of appeals at that stage are approved. Once approved, you get benefits back to your original application date and the government pays your attorney fees. In our case, the Social Security judge sent her file back to the second level examiner with a note to reconsider. That means that we got stuck with the attorney fees, but Social Security still held onto 50% of her benefits for another six months "just in case" her attorney made a claim. Even the attorney couldn't get the money freed up.

The application process was long and arduous. They would send a postcard that said to call or come in. When she called, they said she had to come into the office. When she went in, the questions they had were things that could have been handled over the phone. So, basically, they put as many impediments in your way as they can in order to dissuade you from going all the way through. Debbie had to see one of their doctors at one stage. He was very kind to us, but we say lots of construction workers whose exam consisted basically of: if you could hear your name called, your hearing is good. When you walked into the office, you could obviously move around without too much pain. You are not in a cast and your arm isn't in a sling, so you are obviously fit to return to work. So, application denied.

The amount of money you get is based upon what you have paid in, the number of quarters that you paid in and your age. You receive that amount of money with the inflation adjustment from that point on. When you turn 62, you simply change from the Disability fund to the Old Age and Survivor fund.

After you have received SSDI for 12 months, you are automatically enrolled in Medicare. If you opt into Medicare B, they deduct your contribution from your monthly benefit check. If you don't, then you only have hospitalization and cannot opt in again until you turn 65 or your spouse retires.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Oh Ann. How depressing it must be for you.
Start the process now, while you have a bit of energy.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

A friend of mine got his son on SSDI, but as others have said, long and difficult process. After it was finally approved, my friend said the thing that helped the most was getting an attorney that handles these cases frequently.
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann, Pretty sad to think that that you are having to think of this. Just shows what devastation RLS can cause.I'd be with the others, start an application now with an experienced lawyer.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, the plot thickens. Today my blood work is back. My ferritin is holding (decreased 20 points, but still around 300). But, for the first time in my life, my total iron is low. That seemed odd as I am officially in menopause as of this month. So, went to see the next set of tests. SED rate is high, ANA - IFA is positive, the ANA pattern is homogeneous, and the ANA titer is present...so off I go for a lupus panel.

Guess it would explain the joint pain, but not the general muscular pain. And, looking at the 11 symptoms, it seems unlikely to me - no butterfly rash, no pericarditis, etc. But, something is clearly going on. Fibro is not a disease of inflammation (lots of conflicting info out there, but several rheumy orgs say it is not) or autoimmune, so unlikely it explains it, either. Not sure how much Hashimotos could account for all of this since I was hypothyroid a few months ago - no cause was pursued.

So, before I do anything, I guess I go get more blood work.

Sort of not funny...my birthday is next week - not the birthday present I would have wanted, but no such results are ever desired, are they?

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Views - sorry that you got these results (tho good about the ferritin) leading to more tests and investigations.
I am always hopeful that an unusual result is a blip...... and will be ok next test, or following a let's wait and moitor period.
However, yes, something is going on.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

The worst part is not knowing what it is.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The ANA titre was 1:80 - 10% of people without an autoimmune have it at that rate. And a homogeneous pattern is not that indicative of anything, either. So, it actually could just be random chance or that I had the start of a cold when I took it.

I looked into the Soc Sec claim process and it isn't that much easier for lupus than for fibro or RLS, lol, so I'll just keep the RLS :-).

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Sorry to hear of your problems going on. I got disability on the first try at age 60. It took 6 months. I got mine for short term memory loss. Of course the RLS and sleep apnea was the cause. I was in New Mexico when I applied. I went to a special law office that, that's all they did. I think I was going to get denied, but we moved to Colorado and they said yes. I had gotten a letter for more testing from New Mexico when I switched social security offices to Colorado. Then I had to wait for two years for Medicare. No insurance in the mean time, but I did not apply for Medicaid. Doctors visits and pharmacies give discounts to poor people, me. We just got by.
I have a high sed rate. Have had one for many years. I have had all the tests. I think mine is my osteoarthritis. I also have fibro, but I don't feel it is severe.
A lot of the questions were about if I could take care of my self. Dress, bath, drive, cooking, etc. My thing of course, was my brain, memory. If you need help in any aspect acknowledge it. Even how many hours you are up and functioning vs trying to sleep, plus how much you do sleep, and of course the pain.
Good luck.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:Sorry to hear of your problems going on. I got disability on the first try at age 60. It took 6 months. I got mine for short term memory loss. Of course the RLS and sleep apnea was the cause. I was in New Mexico when I applied. I went to a special law office that, that's all they did. I think I was going to get denied, but we moved to Colorado and they said yes. I had gotten a letter for more testing from New Mexico when I switched social security offices to Colorado. Then I had to wait for two years for Medicare. No insurance in the mean time, but I did not apply for Medicaid. Doctors visits and pharmacies give discounts to poor people, me. We just got by.
I have a high sed rate. Have had one for many years. I have had all the tests. I think mine is my osteoarthritis. I also have fibro, but I don't feel it is severe.
A lot of the questions were about if I could take care of my self. Dress, bath, drive, cooking, etc. My thing of course, was my brain, memory. If you need help in any aspect acknowledge it. Even how many hours you are up and functioning vs trying to sleep, plus how much you do sleep, and of course the pain.
Good luck.

Thanks, Deb.

I think part of my resistance is that I STILL - after all these years - think it will get better. Or that I can figure a different way to be productive. I think I really need to let all of that go. And, often I think I have, only to find I have not.

What you shared helps. I think I would use a lawyer who specializes - seems worth it.

I had the lupus panel two days ago. They said 2-4 days for results, but even though I have a log in and can see the test results, my doctor has a policy that I cannot see them until she sees them and talks to me. So, they won't post right away even if they are complete. And, she often is busy and takes several days to contact me with results. Guessing I will not know until at least mid next week. I really do no think it is lupus (SLE). Time will tell!

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

You know, that lawyer office was supposed to charge me a percentage, but never did. I don't really know what happened. The lady who asked me all the questions was new, and I think they thought there were errors. I don't know, and then I switched the case to the Colorado social security office. I really think it was a God thing. We were broke. Everything just fell into place. So instead of saying I was lucky, for me, it was God. I started getting paid in 6 months, Medicare in 2 years. That was the requirement.
It took me a few years to adjust to not working. I loved being a nurse so much. In the long run I knew it was best. I have helped around town with people when I could. Helped with a hand dressing change last year. Family was too squeamish. Now with my back, I probably won't even baby sit any more. I'm ok with that.
My husband is now at a place where he can start his hobby of leather work. He is hoping to sell some, so he can feel productive. His back surgeries were 2 years ago. He became disabled before me. It took him a long time to adjust too.
This is our life. We must embrace what we have.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I like that. I can't quite do it, but I like it. Embracing what we have includes embracing the fact that I don't really believe I'm dysfunctional, that I can't quite accept that I have a chronic illness; means embracing my thoughts that I can recover, embracing the sleep loss, the cognitive decline, the warped social life; embrace it all so that I can make something good of it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:
I like that. I can't quite do it, but I like it. Embracing what we have includes embracing the fact that I don't really believe I'm dysfunctional, that I can't quite accept that I have a chronic illness; means embracing my thoughts that I can recover, embracing the sleep loss, the cognitive decline, the warped social life; embrace it all so that I can make something good of it.

:!:

Managing Your RLS