A new way of thinking...

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Alladin Sane

A new way of thinking...

Post by Alladin Sane »

I'd like to share with you a new technique I've been developing over the last 6 months, that is working for me (but I'm no expert just a long-term sufferer). A few assumptions: that RLS is caused by nerve damage, and the feeling we get is the nerves repairing themselves (a bit like pins & needles). I don't know if this is true, but for now I'm going assume that the feeling I get is actually good for me, and allowing my nerve system to unblock itself and flow freely. So, during the day I try to take off 10 minutes every so often and lie down (in the past I was adverse to this because it sort of brought on my RLS, which it still does slightly). First I try to relax my face as much as possible, which really takes some concentration, and then when I've got a handle on that, I move down to my shoulders (but I always need to come back to re-relax my face and start again). When I finally feel I've got both my face and shoulders relaxed, I try to relax from the waist down. It really feels buzzy, but I've learned to embrace that feeling and imagine my body is repairing itself. I also do this before I go to bed, even in the bath. And that's it. I think the daytime relaxing exercises allow better flow of the nervous system which lessens the need for it at night.