restless legs and urination

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
wink

restless legs and urination

Post by wink »

While suffering with RLS have you noticed a connection to the urge to urinate. When I have a particularly difficult night, I feel the need to urinate 3 or 4 times and it provides some temporary relief but the restless feeling soon returns then the urge to urinate returns.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Wink--

I have a couple contributing factors that might all be connected to your question, but I'll give you my two cents for what it's worth. It's something I've wondered about, too.

I have moderate and persistent RLS, though I'm not under any medical treatment for it. Mine's mostly in my feet and ankles, but on a "busy" RLS symptom day, it often goes up into my calves and knees, and occasionally into my thighs. Today it's up into my thighs. And ironically, I was thinking right before I read your question that the "vibration" of the RLS was making me feel like I needed to "go" pretty quick here. :oops: (Sorry, too much information, probably.)

I also have generalized anxiety disorder, however, and one of the symptoms of that can be an all-over "vibration", which in my case always seems to center right over my bladder area. That also makes me feel like I need to visit the restroom. (I know some other people with GAD who have the same experience.) And under extreme stress, my anxiety disorder will actually give me sudden and severe bladder spasms. So sometimes it's hard to know which thing is provoking my bouts of more-frequent urination.

A number of people here on this forum have both RLS and an anxiety/depressive disorder, so maybe someone else has the same situation as I do. But with or without my anxiety bothering me, the sensation of RLS *does* give me an all-over antsy feeling, which can, of itself I believe, make me feel the need to "go". For me, RLS is very "unsettling", so it seems to have a similar reaction in my body to other sensations/situations that keep me tense or agitated (riding in a vibrating vehicle, shivering from cold, anxiety, certain OTC medications, too much sugar, etc.)

Don't remember seeing your name around here, so if you're new... welcome to you. If you're not, sorry I haven't "noticed" you before, Wink.

Take care-- Sara :D

IanFraughton

Post by IanFraughton »

wink,

Welcome to the family! :D Not that I'm happy you got RLS, but I'm happy you found this website to help you if and when you need it.

I've noticed I seem to have a very active kidneys/bladder and have to "go" 2-3 times a night or more. Most likely because I get very thirsty at night time but I notice I also seem to have the urgency to urinate often during the day also when I drink less. Don't know if its RLS related but you could be on to something. Have to think about that one some more.

Peace 8)

Ian
I call my pacing the "Waltz of the Damned". Anyone care to dance...?

Kris

Post by Kris »

I have to get up a lot at night too. I suspect though it is because I sleep so lightly that I just go ahead and get up.

Lord, look at the time, the sun is up. :(

I didn't take my meds on time last night and I got maybe 2 hours sleep. I feel bad b/c my poor son is up too. I need to get him to the doctor - I can tell he has it too.

umpwidow

Post by umpwidow »

Hi wink,

Ditto what everyone else has said. I too believe it's the vibration that gets to me in the night. It bothers me in daytime too, though.

Something that is helpful to me can be bought over the counter. It's called AZO for bladder infections. It mearly takes the bladder out of spasm. I believe that the continual nervous stimulation makes the bladder spasm and creates a constant urge.

AZO helped me get to 0-1 time up at night which helps the attitude.

It's not expensive, so it might be worth a try.

Jamie